Ran sysprep, swapped hardware, windows wont boot

RegisteredToPost

Limp Gawd
I'm not sure if it's because the hardware changes or what sysprep did. Whenever i boot off the hdisk, XP blue screens, and reboots. The loadbar at the bottom is usually garbled blue, if it shows at all. I upgraded motherboard, videocard, ram, cpu and powersupply.

Is that enough info to get a suggestion on what to do? Clearing the cmos did nothing...

cpu: opteron 175.
motherboard asus: A8N SLI premium
RAM 2x512 ballistix
videocard: EVGA 7800GT

Would this be because of sysprep or maybe the video card? I dont see why it'd be garbled like that, then bluescreen. The videocard has dual DVI, does it matter what DVI you use for display? I've got to use the adapter.

Help please god :(

Ok, now the computer will not post...Bad motherboard, or did the PSU kill it? I hope my opteron is ok

Oh also the silverstone psu i bought makes a click sound and the lights in my house dim when i turn it on. Just for a second.

So you are trying to load windows with drivers from other harware? LOL ;) , you need to format. Then you will not get the BSOD!

reformat? Or i could just reinstall windows...

Anyways, i reinstalled windows, it booted, wasn't stable for shit, kept crashing, updated windows, crashed again and hasn't posted since.

After the last crash, i resetted the system, and i was pleasantly surprised with it not posting! That's terrific! Love that warm fuzzy feeling you get after spending $1300 only to get really pissed off and receive a bunch of problems!

Resetted cmos countless times to no avail. :(

anyways, Here is the 'next step'

sysprep is not intended for use on systems with differing hardware configurations, it is intended to be used for like systems duplicated many many times... sysprep works great if used properly

Heligrin said:
So you are trying to load windows with drivers from other harware? LOL ;) , you need to format. Then you will not get the BSOD!

Actualy, sysprep is used so that you DONT have to reformat .....I have used it quite a few times, and never had an issue....There are a few good articles in the OS forum that might help you.....

*sigh...You only need to reformat if you have problems with partitions, or accessing data on a disk. If you mess up an install of windows reformating is not nessecary

I'm just curious if i should RA the mainboard at this point. I think the PSU is ok, but am not sure.

Sysprep by default only will boot to devices that have the same SCSI/IDE controller.

Put in your old hardware and boot into windows.

rerun sysprep but this time read the documentation so that you can tell it to rescan and reload the SCSI/IDE controller drivers during mini-setup.

I'm guessing i did something wrong. I cant use that install of windows. It wont boot, it froze after the options select, not showing the xp load screen. Can't repair it, it gets half-way through 'installing devices' and stops, at 35min remaining. The system is repsponsive but the progress just stops at 35minutes.

I like having to reinstall windows, but is there anything i can do to get this install booting?

Back