Ran Prime95. Not sure what results mean?

hazard_one

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, first of all im new to OCing. My specs are in my sig.

i started changing the FSB without raising the vcore. im at the lowest vcore my board has with that CPU.

Started at 280mhz, then 301mhz, then now 310mhz with a 10x mulitplier.

ran prime for 280 and 301 for 8 hours. stable. then ran it just yesterday for 310mhz and i get errors for 2 of the cores. not really sure what these results mean?

prime95.jpg

Hey guys, first of all im new to OCing. My specs are in my sig.

i started changing the FSB without raising the vcore. im at the lowest vcore my board has with that CPU.

Started at 280mhz, then 301mhz, then now 310mhz with a 10x mulitplier.

ran prime for 280 and 301 for 8 hours. stable. then ran it just yesterday for 310mhz and i get errors for 2 of the cores. not really sure what these results mean?

It means your not stable. Try adding a little more power if your temps are not too high. Always start by making one change at a time so you know which component is holding you back. Unfortunately thats the downside of having 4 cores. 2 might be awesome but it only takes one to hold you back.

Means you most likely need more than stock voltage to run over 301 FSB. Just start increasing it until you can run Prime95 without erroring out.

Also, read the sticky at the top of the forum.

i think the Gskill ram you got can take 1.8-2.0v..... i got a Q6600 with the same U120-E & Scythe-F fan, on 3.2 ghz with 356x9.... with 1.4v Vcore , +0.2 on RAM, +0.1 on MCH, +0.1 on FSB....prime95 stable for 12hrs.....havnt changed the RAM setting at all...what i found was that when i didnt give the CPU enuf juice one of the cores just craps out on me in prime95...maybe if u up the vcore it'll go alot higher ? i'm new at this too, just started my OC last nite.... i increased Vcore in increasments of like 0.25V i think, kinda big step, but i'm in the process of lowering it in 0.025 V steps until i find the stable OC..... GL to u too !

i think the Gskill ram you got can take 1.8-2.0v..... i got a Q6600 with the same U120-E & Scythe-F fan, on 3.2 ghz with 356x9.... with 1.4v Vcore , +0.2 on RAM, +0.1 on MCH, +0.1 on FSB....prime95 stable for 12hrs.....havnt changed the RAM setting at all...what i found was that when i didnt give the CPU enuf juice one of the cores just craps out on me in prime95...maybe if u up the vcore it'll go alot higher ? i'm new at this too, just started my OC last nite.... i increased Vcore in increasments of like 0.25V i think, kinda big step, but i'm in the process of lowering it in 0.025 V steps until i find the stable OC..... GL to u too !

Please be careful giving out advice on OCing before you really understand it yourself. The best advice for OCing is already posted in graysky's sticky at the top of the forum.

Starting with a known quantity: stock speed and voltage; then upping the FSB until you crap out (BSOD or Prime failure); then adding voltage in SMALL increments until you get stable again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Yeah thats my bad, thats why i said just started last night..heheh...

Please be careful giving out advice on OCing before you really understand it yourself. The best advice for OCing is already posted in graysky's sticky at the top of the forum.

Starting with a known quantity: stock speed and voltage; then upping the FSB until you crap out (BSOD or Prime failure); then adding voltage in SMALL increments until you get stable again. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Yeah thats my bad, thats why i said just started last night..heheh...

It's all good. We were all excited by our first OC. There's just something about getting a massive amount of performance out of a "lower end" part.

Q6600 - $260
WC Setup - $390
QX6850 - $1200+

Outperforming a QX6850 with your Q6600...priceless.

hehe thx...i think i might have to lap the the U120-E as well as the Q6600....hitting like 65-67 on 2 of the cores over 12 hrs of prime...seem hot...just doesnt have alot of time on my hand to do that atm :-/ But this is a huge step up from my old P4 2.4ghz....its like night and day..:D

Back