Ran into my first Oblivion bug.....

Moose777

2[H]4U
And its irritating me. Across from the Wawnet Inn just outside of Imperial City there is a house. the owner of the house is a Aelwin Merowald. He asks you to collect 12 Tamriel Barracudas (Rumare Slughterfish). After doing so and raising his disposition he reveals the location of his retirement funds.

I waited till he was asleep then snuck into his house during the night. I succesfully stole the key that opens the chest containing his retirement money along with the 600 gold he had on him. However, when I go to open the chest I am told I don't have the key. I check my inventory and sure enough, the key is not there.

I go back to him and he still has it. Even though I took it without being caught. I don't want to kill him. I just want to steal from him. Has anyone else run into this bug? If so how were you able to get past this?

I haven't run into this one but having your merchentile skill stuck at 29 sux

I think that he bug's when you steal from him while he's asleep. Pickpocket him when hes awake and it shouldn't bug.

rcf1987 said:
I haven't run into this one but having your merchentile skill stuck at 29 sux
From the Hackdirt quest?

It's not really stuck. You've just got to use it enough to level up five times, and the progress should start increasing again. Unfortunately it's a painfully slow process with Mercantile, even with it as a major skill... I think the same thing happens with all skill rewards, but there's a fix here. Can't confirm that it works though. One thing to watch out for - it overwrites the variable used to store your room rental status at the Wawnet Inn (IIRC).

And on the topic of bugs, I can't join the Thieves Guild. I'm supposed to meet three people at the Waterfront, and one of them is standing in the corner outside Leyawiin jail, staring at the wall...

What difference does it make if I steal from him while hes sleeping or if hes awake? I usually get caught when I steal when people are awake. I have better luck stealing when they are sleeping. My sneak skill is at 80 so its not becuase I suck at it.

I don't even use lockpicks anymore when I break into stuff. No, I don't have the skeleton key, I still don't know where to get it. I have Open Lock spells for every type of lock.

Well, I managed to steal his key. I had to do it during the day. I broke into his ouse and got into the chest and his retirement consisted of a whole 24 gold coins. Yeah, he's going to live a long time on gold friggin' coins.

At the same time while playing today I've managed to kill both my Black horse and my Bay horse. Yeah, I'm pissed; they don't respawn like I thought. You have to repurchase them.

Back