• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ran into a pickle dilemma :(

passion4tech

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 11, 2016
Messages
155
I did some damage to my Asus G551VW FY212T bottom. I will include picture. How did i damage it you might ask? I had a very hard time removing old toshiba hdd out of metal caddy. I spent hours literally trying to unscrew toshiba out of caddy. Why do these manufactures screw in so tight? I had to bent twist caddy and the caddy was trashed. Silly me tried to put broken caddy back into laptop hard drive bay and I did damage scratched inside laptop with metal caddy http://m.**********************.com/sfp/images/design/usr/smilies/frown.gif So how can I repair the bottom casing?

HnXU8PnO.jpg
 
Remove the caddy and screw the bottom back on?

Fix the caddy, with a hammer or whatever you want to bend it back, Or put some material in there to hold the drive right and forget the caddy.
 
I can't see what you did to it with that pic.

Did you break off the plastic retainers that lets the case snap together?

Maybe have somebody with experience help you with it.
It should not take hours to do what you are trying to do.

It doesn't do any good to destroy the equipment when you get frustrated with it.

You may be able to buy replacement parts on Ebay.

.
 
Actually I managed to fix it slighly. I flatted the bottom casing but it still is little loose now but at least it's flatter now :)
 
You apparently did not have the correct screwdriver to remove the screws from the caddy.

If you have the right tools for the job, it is super easy to remove those screws.
 
You apparently did not have the correct screwdriver to remove the screws from the caddy.

If you have the right tools for the job, it is super easy to remove those screws.

Where can I buy a new hdd caddy for this laptop? I made severe damage to the caddy I twisted the metal and it was sharp metal and that did slight damage to inside of the laptop. I feel stupid for attempting to put bent sharp caddy back into the laptop :(
 
Where can I buy a new hdd caddy for this laptop? I made severe damage to the caddy I twisted the metal and it was sharp metal and that did slight damage to inside of the laptop. I feel stupid for attempting to put bent sharp caddy back into the laptop :(

Either post a pic of the caddy so we can see what it looks like since I can't seem to find anything specifically for that laptop or contact ASUS and see if they have a spare caddy you could purchase.
 
um take it apart and put it back together properly. even without the hdd tray it will still work. just stick a piece of foam in to fill empty space. contact asus for a replacement caddy or google the p/n that should be on it(white sticker, barcode etc). should cost about $10.
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top