Ramping up

Choder

[H]ard|Gawd
Hiya guys.

I'm a long time folder and lurker. After years of running the graphical client I have now moved all my systems over to the console/SMP version. (I had no idea how much faster the Core2 chips folded until now, so I'm laying my hands on every idle one I can find!) I'm limited on space and power, so I don't know how many of my machines will stay up. The way it looks now I may have to retire some of the more power hungry P4 boxes in favor of another Core2Duo or Quad. 6kPPD is the goal without doubling my power bill, though if Digital_Exhaust gets much closer I'll be forced to implement extreme measures. :eek: :D

What P4's are you running now? replace them all with core2's or pentium dual cores (ie E2180) and your power consumption will drop significantly. Those P4's were all power hogs. Good luck with the ramp!

2x Quads @2.66 Ghz running 4x Linux SMP clients inside VM's will do just over 6K PpD.
Or 4x C2D's at the same speed running the plain Linux SMP client will do over that as well.
Your power draw will be around 400 watts, a bit less with Quads, a bit more with Duals.
Easy ............ :p

Luck ........... :D

What P4's are you running now? replace them all with core2's or pentium dual cores (ie E2180) and your power consumption will drop significantly. Those P4's were all power hogs. Good luck with the ramp!

One is a P4 3.2 and the other two are older P4ish Xeon 2.8 GHz HT chips in a dual CPU IBM x-Series 346. The 3.2 runs Win2k3 plus the SMP client but will be going back to the non-SMP client unless someone can confirm that SMP is worth it with a HT chip. The Xeon 2.8GHz HT chips were running two VMWare diskless folding clients but will be reverting back to an SMP setup of some kind.

One is a P4 3.2 and the other two are older P4ish Xeon 2.8 GHz HT chips in a dual CPU IBM x-Series 346. The 3.2 runs Win2k3 plus the SMP client but will be going back to the non-SMP client unless someone can confirm that SMP is worth it with a HT chip. The Xeon 2.8GHz HT chips were running two VMWare diskless folding clients but will be reverting back to an SMP setup of some kind.

Don't run the SMP on HT chips. Maybe dual Xeon chips at 2.8 Ghz... but not HT.

Yeah. It didn't even occur to me that those boxes had HT chips until I noticed them lagging behind in production. I'm going to let them finish their current WUs and switch them over.

Thanks for all the great posts and info.
I was able to ramp up production almost 50%
Woot Woot, Still not enough to keep RavenD from flying by me :eek:
Does anyone have experience running a C2D Quad with SuSe 64 SMP
client versus say 2 VM clients running SMP client? I like the production boost
from running the VM clients, but was wondering if a production increase was
worth running the client natively versus VM? Thanks again
Just passed 500,00 :D

I just wanted to say thanks guys.

I just hit 280k a few days ago. DOUBLE the 140k I had before ramping up. So in three weeks, I've doubled my previous four years of folding efforts. I don't know if I should be happy to be making progress or pissed that I didn't start ramping up earlier. Regardless, I'm having more fun tweaking and shepherding the boxen than I usually have playing my game of the month. I'm very happy I got into this.

Thanks to all of you for helping to push me. Especially Evil, for giving me someone to aspire to pass, and Digital_Exhaust, Crazy Larry and Axdrenalin for dominating my threat list early on and popping up when I start slacking off. There's nothing like someone's name in red directly below mine motivate me or someone I know to borg another machine for the cause.

Competition FTW :D

Don't forget to add my name to that list in a week or so :D

I have 2 quads coming, one you knew about.... the other you might not have...

<insert evil laugh>

<insert evil laugh>

WHAT?!?!?

How did you manage to pull that one off? This is not good... wait, it is good... erm, no this is bad, bad, bad... or:confused:

I'm going to have to make a few changes around here quicklike....

Just don't ramp up like I did and brag about it because I tripped and landed on my face hard!

Just don't ramp up like I did and brag about it because I tripped and landed on my face hard!

All of my boxen are mine, no borgs. Unless they explode (it can happen) I should be ok. ;)

Both Q6600's have been paid for and I will have by the end of the week.

Now if my wife will let me keep my balls when she finds out :eek:

Don't forget to add my name to that list in a week or so :D

<insert evil laugh>

Very Nice... Let's just see what I can do about that :) MUHAHAHAHA

Back