Rampage III Gene Over Clocked CPU Folding

travisjank

n00b
The ASUS Rampage III Extreme is a small form factor Micro ATX motherboard that packs a powerful punch! This board begs to ask how well a small form factor system can fold and if its smaller size will yield more energy efficiency.
Currently all the hardware is running on their original stock coolers with no hardware or firmware modifications, My primary goal is system reliability and maximum uptime.
I will be looking at system power consumption and estimated expense. I wonder if the boards smaller size will yield more energy efficiency?

The client I prefer is the Folding@home Tracker V2 AVAILABLE HERE WITH INSTALL GUIDE

System Specifications

Stock980-1.jpg

ASUS GTX 580 Graphics Card $499.00
ASUS Rampage III Gene Motherboard $229.00
Intel Core i7-980X Extreme edition 3.33GHZ Processor $899.00
Corsair Dominator GTX3 3x2GB 2000MHZ C7 Triple Channel Memory $183.00
Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB Hard Drive $100.00
Antec 1200W TPQ Power Supply $200.00
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit Service Pack 1 $100.00
Base System Cost: $2210.00

(22.22c Ambient Air Temperature)
Processor: Intel Core i7-980X
Core Voltage: 1.144V
Temperature: 27c
Core Speed: 3.33GHz
Uncore Speed: 2670MHz
Base Clock Speed: 133MHz
Quick Path Interconnect Speed: 3200MHz
System Memory: 3x Corsair Dominator GTX 4 2533MHz 2GB
Voltage: 1.66V
Temperature 25c
Speed: 1333MHz
Divider "Ratio": 2:10
Timings: CL9-9-9-24 74 1T
AC Power Consumption: 160Watts = 46¢ per day
"Points per day Per Watt": 145
"Points per day Per Dollar": 16.4

Stock Core i7-980X CPU 36341.2 Points Per Day

stock980ppd.jpg

Intel Core i7-980X Folding@home
CPU Core Voltage: 1.184V
Core Temperature 50*c,
Core Speed: 3471.3MHz *Turbo mode enabled.
AC Power Consumption: 250Watts = 72¢ per day
"Points per day Per Watt": 145
"Points per day Per Dollar": 16.4

If you are like most people I know you may just leave your PC running 24 hours a day and 7 days a week, and if you Fold@home like most people I know the former statement is also most likely true :)
referencing the above statement helps to conclude Folding@home without overclocking will cost about 26¢ per day, $7.80 per month, and about $95.00 per year :)

4GHz i7-980X 61485.5 points per day

4GHzMaxMem61KPPD.jpg

Processor: Intel Core i7-980X
Core Voltage: 1.360V
Temperature: 75c
Core Speed: 4.0128GHz
Uncore Speed: 2889.2MHz
Base Clock Speed: 160.5MHz
Quick Path Interconnect Speed: 2889.3MHz

System Memory: 3x Corsair Dominator GTX 4 2533MHz 2GB
Voltage: 1.66V
Speed: 963MHz
Divider "Ratio": 2:12
Timings: CL9-9-9-28 98 2T.
AC Power Consumption: 327 Watts = 94¢ per day
"Points per day Per Watt": 188
"Points per day Per Dollar": 27.8

Folding@home with overclocking will cost about 48¢ per day, $14.4 per month, and about $175 per year :)
The additional power draw caused by overclocking will effectively increase the expense of Folding by 30% or about 22¢ per day
by leveraging the hidden potential within the ASUS Rampage III Gene users will be able to increase Folding productivity nearly 70%, while observing only a marginal 30% increase in electrical expense.
The ASUS Rampage III Extreme is ideal MATX motherboard for small, powerful, and extensible Folding systems.

Rampage III Gene OverClocking to be Continued

Later I will examine what it takes to be an Extreme Folder, future tests will consist of Chilled liquid, Vapor Phase Change Refrigeration, even Liquid Nitrogen Cooling with the goal of squeezing the most power out of a single processor system.
This thread will focus on the ASUS Rampage III Gene motherboard and its ability to overclock the mighty Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition CPU
Memory's effect on points per day
QPI's effect on points per day
UCLK's effect on points per day

ASUS RAMPAGE III GENE RESOURCES
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
RAMPAGE III GENE: UNBOXING
RAMPAGE III GENE: SYSTEM BUILDING
RAMPAGE III GENE: OVERCLOCKING
RAMPAGE III GENE: FOLDING AT HOME
RAMPAGE III GENE: EXTREME OVERCLOKING
RAMPAGE III GENE: MODS
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
*hardware performance/cost ratio assuming USA national residential electrical cost per kilowatt Hour of 12¢.​

Last edited:
I've got two things to say:

1. Copying and pasting a review without giving credit where credit is due is just plain plagiarism. Not cool. Unless you can prove this is your review.

2. This does not belong in the overclocking section, as it barely talks about overclocking. This belongs in the distributed computing section.

I am sorry i did not see the DC section. I will request a MOD help me move this to the proper section
however this is not plagiarism I am indeed the original author and have linked to my original work at the bottom of my post.

The link is the same exact link that is put in the original post on Asus forums, so it's no surprise it would be there if you had copied and pasted.

Your usernames are not the same. Forgive me for being skeptical, but that's how I see it. And you are a new user, and this is your first post.

The link is the same exact link that is put in the original post on Asus forums, so it's no surprise it would be there if you had copied and pasted.

Your usernames are not the same. Forgive me for being skeptical, but that's how I see it. And you are a new user, and this is your first post.

I appreciate you bringing it to attention as I I spent several months testing to validate stability.. I created this account with my real name by mistake and didn't bother to create a new one. I will edit my original ASUSROG.com post and add credit at bottom of page for me.

Spam? Maybe. Foolish? Definitely. $2200+ for a 61K ppd folding rig? For $2200 I would expect at least 300K ppd. This looks more like a gaming rig made by someone with more money than sense. Velociraptor drive? Please. Most any SSD will out-perform it while consuming less power. Stock HSF? Not serious for overclocking. A GPU folding rig could do better with two or three less expensive video cards. This guy doesn't seem to know much about serious folding rigs.

Spam. This guy also doesn't seem to know very much about folding either.

I have a system with almost identical specs, including same HDD but only GTX 285 and 750W PSU. It's my lanparty box that is also used for DC. I haven't posted a million screenshots like this guy, though. Seems kinda clueless.

Do tell how you can get 300k PPD for $2200.

Two used SR-2s running Linux? Probably cost a little more.

OK, 300K is a bit high. You would need to get some awesome deals to hit that at $2200. But you can do about 45K a day on an overclocked 2600k for about $600, maybe less. An SR-2 will get you about 150K for about $1600. bigADV might improve that. 200K for $2200 with decent shopping is achievable, with spectacular deals or used finds you can do better.

OK, 300K is a bit high. You would need to get some awesome deals to hit that at $2200. But you can do about 45K a day on an overclocked 2600k for about $600, maybe less. An SR-2 will get you about 150K for about $1600. bigADV might improve that. 200K for $2200 with decent shopping is achievable, with spectacular deals or used finds you can do better.

300 is a bit high... thats 4p G34 territory... though I plan on using my uber deals to do ~500k for < $1500 triforce... 3 overclocked dodecas coming up...

I should hit ~500k on my triforce rig.... 3 dodecas on a 4p G34 board @3 -3.2 ghz
will cost < $1500 but I have got some great deals... :D

Doesn't quite look like spam... just a noob...

And he doesn't make any comparisons to full ATX boards with the same specs, so how can he make the claim that the mATX boards use less power for folding than a full ATX board?

Just really a BS review. Didn't even bother including graphics card folding.

It looks a hell of a lot like spam when you consider he owns this forum which is running this SEO.

It is all about the google crawl of [H].

Back