Rampage III Extreme, 12GB's installed only 8GB's seen.

formula409

Limp Gawd
Here is the issue: 12GB's of G Skill Ram (two kits of 6BG triple channel memory PC1600 7-8-7-24 1.5v) Only 8GB's can bee seen by the motherboard and Windows 7.

Have confirmed both kits on there own are fine. CPU-z reports 12GB's in the electrical level they are seen. The setup is a RE3, i7 980x, 12GB's Gskill, 5970, Corsair 1000watt PSU and Corsair H50.

What I have done. Have set the RAM to 800, 1066, 1333, and 1600 Have let the BIOS Auto set the Ram and have manually set the timings. Tried both kits on the RE3 in the orange/red slots and saw 6GB's Added extra DIMM to first black slot to get 8GB's and other combinations but never mixed the 2 kits up.

Have reseated the Ram multiple times. Placed in different slots and a kit at a time which works fine. Each shows as 6GB's

Have reseated the CPU and re checked for bent pins and re seated the cooler. non bent or out of place. Have loosened the H50 retention bracket and tried from fairly loose to all the way tightened down.

Have cleared the CMOS and set BIOS defaults.

Have raised the DIMM voltage and QPI voltage.

Have raised CPU and IOH voltages and combinations of all.

I know its a common problem for the x58 platform to have. Following tips here on the forum and all over the net, i just cant see to get 12 GB's to show. Yes, 12 GB's is needed for the broadcast 3D and After Effects rendering I do. Most of the parts used to build the system have been waiting for up to a month just for the Rampage III to go on sale. Please, I really need some help. Thanks

Last edited:
The Rampage III Extreme just was released for sale a couple of days ago and only one BIOS, the release is available.

Asus usually has a compatible RAM list for high-end motherboards like this and currently I don't see it for the R III E. They don't even have the English manual up yet but there should be a compatible RAM list somewhere. Post this on the Asus support forums like WorldExclusive said and contact Asus support. I plan on picking up this motherboard so please keep us updated as I would love to see how this goes for you and good luck!

note sure about your question since I haven't bought one yet, but can I ask where you purchased your RIIIE from?

Sometimes the HSF mounting can cause the board to flex and some of the dimms won't seat correctly. Check the HSF and make sure you haven't bent the board a bit.

edit:

Just noticed you are running a H50. The mounting for that HSF doesn't bend the board as far as I can tell since I run one as well.

This is a very common problem with DDR3 and (usually) the 1366 platforms. I went through 2 motherboards and 2 different RAM manufactures before I got all 12GB to work in my setup. It ended up being bad RAM. My first recommendation is to pull all the RAM and test each stick individually using memtest 4.00. The two bad sticks I had wouldn't even allow the machine to POST.

This is a very common problem with DDR3 and (usually) the 1366 platforms. I went through 2 motherboards and 2 different RAM manufactures before I got all 12GB to work in my setup. It ended up being bad RAM. My first recommendation is to pull all the RAM and test each stick individually using memtest 4.00. The two bad sticks I had wouldn't even allow the machine to POST.

Thats about what i would suggest doing pulling the ram test each stick if possible or 3 at a time then test same set in different memory slots just to determine if their is maybe bad memory slot on the motherboard.

Not sure if you tried this, but....

Run > msconfig

Go to the Boot tab, go to advanced options and check the amount of maximum memory.

That is the 1st thing I'd try, after running memtest on the RAM itself or course.

Mix and match RAM sticks and DIMMS and run memtest see if any of them are faulty
Try 2T timings on the DRAM
Maybe a known issue and there is a BIOS update soon?

I have 12GB's of Crucial Ballistix that are working just fine on this board.

The RE3 was from Newegg. Tried many different settings and timings for the memory and many voltage settings as stated in the original post.

I have a post over at ASUS forums. The memory is fine. The issue is the board seeing all 12GB's. Each set shows as 6Gb's and the system works fine with each kit installed on its own. Its when they get together..8Gb's and not 12Gbs. They are both the same kit of RAM.

I have loosened the cooler as stated in the original post from all the way tight to scary loose and every step in between. Have talked to Gskill and ASUS directly on the phone and went through some settings and such.

Setting the RAM in the msconfig will not work since the OS only sees 8 and you cannot go past that in msconfig as it sets itself back to 8GB's

I have checked the individual RAM slots, but the board will not boot with just Black, to boot must be in the Red, so I have used at least one stick in the Red and placing other in the black slots, but according to the manual, there are only certain configs the system will boot with, so a definitive test of all ram slots as you cant do that on the board unless all slots are populated.

I'm trying to order the same mobo with 12 GB of dominator sticks waiting. U have me a bit worried. I hope you find a solution.

I had a similar problem with a DFI 1366 board, but I found the problem using 3 sticks of RAM and only 4GBs was recognized. I RMA'd the board and the replacement board worked and continues to work without issue. I've since moved up to 12GBs of RAM and have no issues. I would RMA the board with Newegg since you still have the 30 day window and they will get you a new board more quickly. I've seen this issue with numerous 1366 boards from various vendors when I searched online for an answer.

I have the same issues as well, but for some reason when I run everything at stock I see all 12 gigs of ram.

Last edited:
Newegg has it in stock as of 1:30 PM EST

I just got my order in.

Edit: Just noticed it OOS again at 3pm est

Last edited:
Ok, Update!!! Bad board! RMA already in and sent off to Newegg. After talking to Gskill and Corsair and also ordering Dominator GT's in a 12GB kit and having the same issue with XMP on or doing timings in Manual mode, loosening the cooler and the whole 9, just 8GB's being stepped through with techs from ASUS and Corsair. Also to note if you have issues at all with 6Gb's SATA on the RE3, one of the SATA 6 cables that came with the board was causing BSOD's. Swapping out fo rthe other cable would cause the problem to go away with both a WD Black 6Gbps and Crucial C300 256GB SSD. Make sure you use the Extra heatsink with fan for the chipset. Man that area even with it on is pretty blazzing with the n200 chip.

Another note: The 12Gb's of Gskill works perfect at 1627Mhz on a Rampage II GENE. i7 920 DO at 4.270MHz BCLK 203 Mult 21x

Last edited:
I am running my ram at 1200 with my cpu at 3.6 ghz and I get 12gb working out just fine.

Ok so a quick update I went ahead and upped the follwing volts:

DRAM : 1.65
QPI Core: 1.35
IOH Voltage 1.2
IOH PCIE Voltage: 1.55
ICH Voltage: 1.12625

Once I did that I can now run at 1600mhz with all 12gb's being read.

For the RE3 that was sent back, No adjustment in voltages anywhere or combinations that I did or that were suggested by Corsair or Gskill by their techs could get the board to read 12GB's. I tried even the same voltages as AthlonXP did and even higher. Taking the same Gskill and without any adjustment was instantly recognized in my R2 GENE. Ihave not tested the Corsair Dominator GT's on the R2 GENE yet. In my testing I found two slots to be flaky on the RE3.

I have the same issues as well, but for some reason when I run everything at stock I see all 12 gigs of ram.

Good to see you resolved your issues with the RE3. With up coming BIOS updates, This board is really going to rock. Love it already, just cant wait to get the new one in from newegg.

Well It appears my luck was short lived that despite it saying I had 12GB there, windows still said 8GB, I am moving the ram back down to 1200 and once again it works just fine without any issues.

Not sure if you tried this, but....

Run > msconfig

Go to the Boot tab, go to advanced options and check the amount of maximum memory.

What does this do? I have 12GB recognized in my P6T, but msconfig>Boot>Advanced>Max Memory shows 0.

After clearing the motherboard cmos I always have this problem. I just add 1 stick, boot into the bios, shutdown, add another stick, etc. The memory always seems to be recognized fine if I just add 1 stick at a time, and once all the memory's being seen I never have a problem again until I clear the cmos and have to do the 1 stick at a time trick again.

I had the same issue with mine but found that turning it off. unplug it. rearrange the ram and reboot - did this twice and bingo! or whatever - there was 12 gig on boot in the bios and in windows and has been stable since even with xmp. Profile 1 1600mhz and profile 2 2000mhz

I also noticed only 1.6v was required on boot in CPU/PLL when default is usually set in BIOS default to 1.81..v. which by spec is too high.
I set CPU Voltage to 1.34375
QPI/DRAM to 1.36875
DRAM Bus to 1.60325

And can boot without failure and reach 100% load at 4.48ghz every time.
My temps are much lowere as well.
Updated to bios 0604 for the Rampage III Extreme on the Asus site

Try that.

Last edited:
^^^

Why did you change your CPU/PLL to 1.6V?
Should I change mine also?

Why is your QPI @ 1.36V?

My QPI is at 1.28V.

I read specs posted for max voltage and found they work well.
I have a new board - Rampage III Extreme and in combination with I7-980X...
I set the voltages to suggested levels.
OC rules state that you reach max stability and then decrease voltage.
I can go much higher but then temps go way up as does voltage.
I decided on a middle tier as it were - this is fast enough and the voltage low enough to last a long time.
I decided that my max would be 4.48ghz

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.p...k=view&id=475&Itemid=63&limit=1&limitstart=10

Maybe my QPI is higher because my memory is at 1866 - 7.7.7 20 1t?
Higher memory frequency require higher QPI as well as voltage to DRAM.
My Kingston memory Hyper-X is rated at 2000mhz which also works using XMP profile but increase temps too high.

It seems to work.
Lower temps.
Stable.

Note: The "Turbo" mode sometimes gets it up to just short of 4.8ghz.

You don't have the same processor and your settings differ.
You go to max and then decrease until stable.

Last edited:
Hi All,

Just to let you know there is a fix to the problem of not all memory showing up in Bios and Windows.

I had this problem, you have memory with a clock speed over 1066MHz it will not work with a Intel i7 980x gulftown.

Intel spec is to run memory at 1066MHz.

So you have to under-clock your memory to run at 1066MHz in the Bios and leave all other memory settings to AUTO and now you will see all of your memory in BIOS and Windows on saving and restarting.

Hope this helps.

regards,

pices555.

What version of W7 do you have? And by any chance, is there a way you can get hold of a 4 core i7? This sounds so much like the other guy who was having issue running 24GB of ram with a 980x, he dropped his 920 back in I think it was and all of his RAM was there. It would be interesting to see.

Edit: I did not see pices555's solution until just now, but it would support the i7 980x problem people seem to be running into.

Back