Rampage Formula Sata Raid

johngalt47

n00b
While looking at the bios, it seems to me that selecting "Configure SATA as Raid" makes ALL the sata ports only capable of raid.

I would like to configure two of my SATA ports as RAID0 and the other SATA ports as independent drives.

Is this possible? If not, do I have to buy a raid board separately?

HI,

Configure the S-ATA as raid, the run the RAID configuration in BIOS (Ctrl + L) here you select the drives you want to ad to your RAID array.

The drives that are not in an array will run as standard drives.

I use this setup myself.

\\\Jens

Hi,

You need to set the boot device to "Intel Raid" in the boot selection part of the BIOS.

Also when you install on the RAID drive during windows install, you must use the "F6" function and install the RAID driver as windows does not have support for the chip build in.

You must use the ICH8/ICH9 Raid driver placed on the ASUS DVD that came with the motherboard.

\\\Jens

I wanted the raid drives for a secondary drive. I didn't want to boot from them.

In any case, it kept trying to make all my drives into Raid drives. Finally, it messed up the single drive I wanted to leave alone. It wouldn't boot at all and I had to reinstall Windows.

I've given up trying to make Raid work like I want it to.

Hi,

It's you call, but I think RAID is worth it... I also messed up the first time I tried, but now everything work as I want it to.

Please explain excatly how you like the system to be set up. Mayby we can guide you :)

\\\Jens

when i installed Vista 32 on my RAID0 raptors i didnt even need to do f6 and install drivers... do you think its anything to do with the fact its a X48 board ? ive got no idea:confused:

when i installed Vista 32 on my RAID0 raptors i didnt even need to do f6 and install drivers... do you think its anything to do with the fact its a X48 board ? ive got no idea:confused:

No, Vista has built in Raid drivers. I just got the Rampage formula and set up the raid in raid 0 and installed without a hitch. There is no need to F6 install drivers as Vista contains them already. Ive done this on many boards as well. All work fine with vista.

Umm... why not set up any independent/single drives as JBOD? Go into the RAID Bios, configure your RAID0, then configure the other drive(s) each as JBOD. Reboot, go into the Bios and set your desired drive as the primary (1st boot) drive. Then during install you still use the RAID driver, but things work as if it were a SATA/IDE drive. This way you can install to the single (JBOD) drive, and still run a RAID0 as a second drive.

I'm hoping I can hop on to this thread since I'm dealing with a problem that it mentions.

I'm unable to get my BIOS to let me access the [Ctrl+L] RAID configuration screen.

I'm also using a RocketRAID card for my removable RAID setup.

I can access the RocketRAID Bios without any troubles but the Rampage BIOS runs through its POST process and ignores my [Ctrl+L] keypress. I've even connected a PS/2 keyboard in case it had something to do with using the USB keyboard.

I've tried the following with both the USB keyboard and the PS/2 keyboard.

Ctrl+L
Ctrl+I in case I misread the lowercase L in the manual.
Ctrl+Shift+L in case it "must" be an uppercase L

I definitely set my SATA configuration to RAID and Hard Disk Write Protect is Disabled and the SATA Detect Time Out was set to 35.

I'm not sure what else I can do.

Right now, I'm going to unplug the RocketRAID card I have installed, see if I can access the Intel RAID config, then plug back in the RocketRAID card.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!!

Yeah, I'm having the same problem as mentioned above.... I have 5x SATA devices in total. Ports 1 & 2 have hard drives (OS drive and random storage drive) and I have my DVDRW in port 3. Ports 4 & 5 have 2x300gb hdds which I would like to create a RAID1 array... however, when I enable RAID within the Rampage BIOS and attempt to boot to the OS (Vista 64bit).. I BSOD and reboot.... any suggestions?

Back