Rampage Formula or Maximus II Formula

XNeKoSX

Weaksauce
Can't decide what new board I want.

Rampage is a X48 chipset and Maximus 2 is a P45.

Do I plan on during Crossfire? Umm have not decided since I run a 8800 GTX OC2 and it runs things pretty damn smooth for now. My current board has bad memory banks I have found out recently and the board is OOW.

Seems both boards are sweet and the real difference is the PCIe X16 slots. Rampage runs both cards at x16 while the Max 2 runs at 8x. Is this really the only difference??

Pretty much.

Personally if you are only after the Dual PCI-E 16X you can do what I did which is getting a P5E and then flash it with RF BIOS.

if you want to run a single card , i would suggest you go w/ P5Q series and save up money

Would the P5Q-Deluxe be a viable solution? I ask because I too am looking at these two boards and plan to run my 8800 GTS for now. I am unsure if I plan for Crossfire or not so looking at options if I don't.

Well i just got the rampage formula last weekend and so far its been a great board. Was able to push 445 FSB stable on my q6600. Didnt try much higher as temps on the cpu were getting a bit toasty. I went with the x48 due to running crossfire 4870. The p45 should be a bit cheaper and run a bit cooler on the northbridge, but if you dont plan on crossfire, its probably the way to go.

Yea I think I am going to stick with the Rampage or the Maximus for the main reason I plan to learn OC'ing. I have a Crosshair that has PMS so I have not been able to practice OC'ing on it yet but will keep trying.

Don't think I will Crossfire though. To many things just aren't compatible with it yet, is it really worth it? Granted the few games I do run will support it so I don't know. I'd probably rather save for a top of the line single card solution with 1 core. <shrug>

Honestly either one is a really good board. I have a Rampage Formula because I intend to drop another 4870 in my system. It is one heck of a mobo... very stable, no issues with it at all :D

I just got a Rampage and a Q9450 and this is one of the easiest and most stable setups I have seen.

What about the P5Q deluxe??

I have seen benchmarks that actually put it passed the Max II formula. Its early but damn!

My rampage formula has been great since I got it. I'm oc'ing my q6600 to 2.95 with no problems, and i've just put on a lion square to replace the intel stock hsf. The reason i went with the rampage is because i bought 2 3870's at the time and it runs every game i throw at it just fine.

I got my rampage formula installed last weekend and its been running solid for a week. Was able to get my q6600 stable at 4ghz with 1.6v without bricking the board (bad dfi). Its running great with 4870 crossfire.

I got my rampage formula installed last weekend and its been running solid for a week. Was able to get my q6600 stable at 4ghz with 1.6v without bricking the board (bad dfi). Its running great with 4870 crossfire.

Impressive overclock for the Q6600. Rampage Formula is a beast of a board. You just made me rethink my decision of getting a p45 board. Would love to see pics if you got this Watercooled and the Northbridge hooked up.

How are those 3870's holding up for you now??

They're still holding up pretty well, the only games that I continue to play on the pc are lego indy, grid, bioshock & the orange box. I just got crysis, so I'm anxious to see how well they will run. I've got the 2 3870's and 8 gigs of RAM, so I should be set. Dunno if i'll be able to run crysis at 1900 x 1200 though.

Rampage formula for best crossfire X, plus it overclocks my Xeon to 3.2 or 3.6 with low volts.

Just buy an X38 (the P5E is good once you slap it down a few times) and flash it with the Rampage BIOS. ;)

Would the Rampage be a legit purchase even if this is my first time building a computer?

Before I made this post I spent about 2-3 weeks reading magazines, articles, reviews and forums. I just don't know what to do...

I ask here because I have not seen a newbie intro section on this website.

Back