• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

RAMDRIVE for over 8GB?

SonicTron

Snopes is My Fact Checker
Joined
Mar 9, 2000
Messages
5,894
I'm not sure how popular ramdrives are nowadays, but I was looking to setup a 12-16gb ramdrive that would be loaded with apps on bootup. What are the better programs free or paid to do this?
 
Most modern OSes use "extra" RAM for file system caching, so setting up a RAM drive is basically just saying you know better then the file caching algorithm what should be in memory. I'd put my money on the file caching algorithm unless you have some corner case.

Anyway, you'll need to provide some more details, like what OS you're on, before anyone is likely to comment.
 
I have 24 gigs of RAM on windows 7 64 and I want to be able to load full games onto a ram drive, which is definitely going to be better than the system file caching for loading levels, maps, etc
 
then give it a try and let us know how it runs... just make sure to back up the data that you save on it
 
download imdisk ramdisk, it can create ramdisks the size you are looking for, and it is free.
 
I have 24 gigs of RAM on windows 7 64 and I want to be able to load full games onto a ram drive, which is definitely going to be better than the system file caching for loading levels, maps, etc

Not really. Page caching only loads the pages that are actually accessed, and not the whole file or directory. You should be able to just have a startup script do a sequential read of everything you want cached.

Well, I say that. Windows is pretty retarded about I/O so I could be wrong.
 
I also have 24GB and use this

I use it for temp files and scratch disk for CS5. For loading entire apps in ramdism I didnt notice much if any real world performance over an SSD drive
 
I also have 24GB and use this

I use it for temp files and scratch disk for CS5. For loading entire apps in ramdism I didnt notice much if any real world performance over an SSD drive

Yeah I just dont have an SSD for games yet
 
Back
Top