Ramdom freezing

Astrowind

Weaksauce
This only happens once or twice a month but just wondering if anyone can guess where it's coming from. My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-H170M-D3H with an Intel i3-6100. My power supply is an Antec Basiq VP450.

One guess is to disable C6/C7 mode in BIOS (which I haven't tried yet). I also haven't tried updating BIOS yet I think....

OK, I just flashed the BIOS to the latest, F23F. And I ran the Intel update webpage scan which only wanted to update the video driver (only update available).

Now, it may take more than a month to confirm if it won't freeze anymore but where in the world is the C6/C7 state setting in BIOS?

under mit>advance freq. settings, maybe. I just googled dont have one of those boards. you may need to dig for it. the manual pdf does say its in there somewhere...

weirdtriangle.jpg
Uh, I've just had something I've never had before after flashing BIOS. Despite updating the video driver, I have a weird video artifact that doesn't appear in Firefox or Opera, but for now only in Chrome. This is on Win7 Pro although this machine will have another OS in Jan2020.

View attachment 187938 Uh, I've just had something I've never had before after flashing BIOS. Despite updating the video driver, I have a weird video artifact that doesn't appear in Firefox or Opera, but for now only in Chrome. This is on Win7 Pro although this machine will have another OS in Jan2020.

It appears someone has hacked your machine with a green sharpie and started writing words on the screen. Run anti-malware!

on a serious note - artifacting like that is usually bad GPU overclock, or failing VRAM

Thanks for the comment. But, I did not overclock the GPU. I wonder if it's also possibly Chrome related...

Since flashing the BIOS on the motherboard, I have not had a random freeze like that. This is good news since this motherboard was only like 2 years old I think. In any case, I finally found the front panel connector instructions for the motherboard so I guess that means I don't really have a complaint about Gigabyte. I used to think they had no instructions to connect the front panel and also could not explain the freezing. So now those "issues" are no longer relevant.

Back