RAM Voltage for i7?

waylay00

n00b
I know a lot of places say don't exceed 1.65v VDIMM for i7 systems. But many kits out there (OCZ Gold, for instance), run right at 1.65v. Is it safe to get RAM tht runs this close to the "boundary"?

Yeah, if it's a trip-chan kit your fine. They are just saying that if you OC or run a voltage high than that you run the risk of damaging your CPU. My ram is at 1.64v, I can't run 1.65 on my board otherwise it bumps it to 1.66 and I get all of those warnings and such.

^^Good info Proxy, was going to say the same thing for my Corsair Dominator 3x2gb kit

can we please sticky this issue... This is one of the most asked questions here...
i7's run 1.65 volt DDR3 and below. I've heard some people pushing theirs up to 1.66, but that's the highest I've seen confirmed.

You can go higher than 1.65 without risking your CPU. I've seen people run them close to 1.9 volts and have never seen any reports of someone borking their CPU due to running the memory above 1.65. The main thing to remember is that you need to keep vtt/qpi voltage within 0.5 volts of the memory voltage.

can we please sticky this issue... This is one of the most asked questions here...
i7's run 1.65 volt DDR3 and below. I've heard some people pushing theirs up to 1.66, but that's the highest I've seen confirmed.

that won't happen as AMD had the same issue with A64 and Phenom but there was not a sticky.

You can go higher than 1.65 without risking your CPU. I've seen people run them close to 1.9 volts and have never seen any reports of someone borking their CPU due to running the memory above 1.65. The main thing to remember is that you need to keep vtt/qpi voltage within 0.5 volts of the memory voltage.

This needs to be stickied.

This needs to be stickied.

refer to my last post. it won't happen. my bios says the NB and VC need to be the same and i have read that increased VC will help keep the diods protecting the MC from frying.

This is the first time I've heard someone say 1.9 volts is ok on the i7...

This is the first time I've heard someone say 1.9 volts is ok on the i7...
I wouldn't advise the average user to bump their memory that high and leave it there for 24/7 use, but I have seen people push it that high for benchmarks or use higher voltage memory. Running your memory above 1.65 volts isn't going to instantly fry your cpu, which is the belief that some people seem to have due to Intel's warnings.

Back