RAM suggestion for i7-2600K/P8P67 Deluxe system

HDClown

Limp Gawd
Just ordered an ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (Rev 3) and an i7 2600K. I'm trying to figure out what RAM to get, 2x4GB KIT.

I'm planning to use the OEM Intel cooling. I prefer to not having to buy an aftermarket CPU cooler, or have a noisy case, so I don't plan to do anything crazy with over clocking. The heavy load on my system is CPU encoding, and that's not constant, so I don't need a ton of extra boost for most operation, but I might as well take advantage of any easy to obtain extra performance.

A friend told me to go with Corsair, one of the following:

Vengeance - CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 - $100
Vengeance - CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 - $133
Dominator with DHX Pro Connector – CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 - $125
Dominator with DHX Pro Connector and Airflow II Fan – CMP8GX3M4A1600C8 - $180

Prices listed are the prices on Amazon where I can do prime shipping.

The $125'ish price range is a sweet spot in terms of what I'd like to spend... not sure if I'd want to spring for the Dominator with the fan.

I dont know which to choose from, or if I should really look at something else?

For your MOBO and CPU combo, either of the 2 Vengeance kits are the best choice. They operated at a lower memory voltage 1.5v as opposed to the Dominators, which operate at 1.65v. The GTs have more bling but if you are not into that and not into heavy OCing, the Vengeance is the better choice.

Mike said it best, it doesn't really matter what kit you get as long as it operates at 1.5v. Sandy bridge boards are a little bit finnicky with this.

If I have corsair XMS3 - which is specified to run at 1.65V - will I have problems with a new sandy build then? (Don't mean to hijack it seems relevant)

I ended up with the C9 Vengeance. I was concerned with the voltage ratios between CPU to RAM and having an issue with that. Seemed easiest to just keep life simple and stick with 1.5V RAM.

Hi guys,

My first post here but I've just ordered the parts for a new PC but I'm concerned about the Vengeance RAM not working with the P8P67 motherboard.

My planned spec is:
i5 2500k
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz (2x4GB) CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B (the blue seems same spec as black, but is cheaper)
Gigabyte 460 1GB OC
Asus P8P67 Pro

All over the net I'm reading random crash issues and BSOD's with this RAM combined with the motherboard. I can't see any 8GB kits consisting of 2 4GB DIMMs on the QVL list, I notice a few of you have the same RAM/mobo setup, are you having any issues?

Someone said the C9 ram is for AMD and C8 for Intel, is this true?

I hope you can advise, as once I open the RAM it can't be returned :(.

Thanks,
Andrew

Hi guys,

My first post here but I've just ordered the parts for a new PC but I'm concerned about the Vengeance RAM not working with the P8P67 motherboard.

My planned spec is:
i5 2500k
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz (2x4GB) CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B (the blue seems same spec as black, but is cheaper)
Gigabyte 460 1GB OC
Asus P8P67 Pro

All over the net I'm reading random crash issues and BSOD's with this RAM combined with the motherboard. I can't see any 8GB kits consisting of 2 4GB DIMMs on the QVL list, I notice a few of you have the same RAM/mobo setup, are you having any issues?

Someone said the C9 ram is for AMD and C8 for Intel, is this true?

I hope you can advise, as once I open the RAM it can't be returned :(.

Thanks,
Andrew

That's EXACTLY the platform Vengeance was designed for. It should work just fine.

That's EXACTLY the platform Vengeance was designed for. It should work just fine.

Thanks, as a Corsair tech can you confirm if it's the C8 or the C9 RAM that I need, or will either work with the 2500k? Would the CMX8GX3M4A1600C9 set of 4 DIMMs work better as they're on the QVL?

Thanks,
Andy

Either will work just fine. The C8 will offer slightly better performance than the C9 and cost a little more. The C8 may also have a bit more OCing headroom. And no, don't go for the CMX modules on Sandy Bridge. Stick with Vengeance.

Thanks. I'm building this mainly as a working PC (as a printer I use Photoshop a lot and my current Phenom 9950 isn't very fast). I'm not fussed about gaining every last FPS for when I do play games, but I want a stable system.

Thanks again,
Andy

Hi,

I've just put this system together only to find the computer wouldn't boot, not even to display anything on screen?
I've tried installing the RAM in every combination I can think of single/double, various slot combinations (A1 B1) (A2 B2) (A1 B1), and it doesn't seem to work. Neither sticks work when used on their own so I doubt it's a faulty RAM issue.
A lot of people have issues with Vengeance RAM and the P8P67 motherboard, any suggestions on fixing this, perhaps a DOA motherboard? Worthy of note is the board had two bent CPU pins when I removed the blanking plate, although the red warning light for the CPU does not flash.

Is it normal for no graphics to display if the RAM is considered incompatible? If I take all the RAM out the motherboard beeps in a pattern the manual confirms as "no RAM detected".

Please advise,

Thanks,
Andy

P.S. Don't mean to hijack this thread, I am asking Mike Clements for advice.

Hi,

I've just put this system together only to find the computer wouldn't boot, not even to display anything on screen?
I've tried installing the RAM in every combination I can think of single/double, various slot combinations (A1 B1) (A2 B2) (A1 B1), and it doesn't seem to work. Neither sticks work when used on their own so I doubt it's a faulty RAM issue.
A lot of people have issues with Vengeance RAM and the P8P67 motherboard, any suggestions on fixing this, perhaps a DOA motherboard? Worthy of note is the board had two bent CPU pins when I removed the blanking plate, although the red warning light for the CPU does not flash.

Is it normal for no graphics to display if the RAM is considered incompatible? If I take all the RAM out the motherboard beeps in a pattern the manual confirms as "no RAM detected".

Please advise,

Thanks,
Andy

Based on what you posted, my money is on the bent pins. You may want to look into replacing the MOBO. As far the RAM, if you have the option, test it in another system.

Thanks, I'll RMA the board and see what happens. If I receive a new board and it still doesn't work am I to RMA the memory too? On the Corsair site it guarantees compatibility, but event he most recent QVL from Asus only mentions one 4GB configuration, and only 2GB sticks from Corsair.

As already noted, this kit should work flawlessly with that board and any P67 board from ASUS. In fact, I have not seen a P67 board yet that it won't work with. If it won't boot in the new board, RMA it.

Hi,

Please advise,

Thanks,
Andy

could it be a video issue...? does the computer "sound" and "look" like it's going through the motions, beeps, hdd light flashing, etc., with just no video...?

could it be a video issue...? does the computer "sound" like it's going through the motions, beeps, hdd light flashing, etc., with just no video...?

It could be the GPU, the CPU, or possibly even the PSU. But, since the OP mentioned bent pins in the CPU socket, I think the MOBO is the place to start.

Wolvarine: Everything else seems to be booting up just fine, the GPU fan initiates and I tried my 7900GTX in the slot to confirm the card wasn't faulty (still blank display). After re-assembling my old rig I tried the 560GTX and it displayed POST and booted into Windows fine, although once drivers were installed the Windows desktop wouldn't initialise and kept restarting (perhaps something to do with Aero), either way it's not a concern as I suspect the motherboard I have is too old for the 560GTX.
I have an SSD so can't tell if the hard drive was working (no noise) and it doesn't boot far enough for any reliable flashes of the HDD light. The CPU red light flashes then goes off at the same time as the RAM light comes on, perhaps the CPU pins are to blame then?

Mike: It's one of those situations where I've no idea what's to blame. I doubt it's the RAM being faulty as neither sticks worked in either combination, plus given other peoples experience with the P8P67 I would suspect (and hope) on a faulty board as I can't RMA everything item of they aren't faulty.

I'm using a 700W PSU with dual 21A 12v rails, 29A on 3.3v and 32A on 5v. I had to use an adaptor that converts a single molex plus 12v ATX power into the new 8 pin ETX plug, but I don't expect this to be an issue? On balance, considering the pins as well, I've RMA'd the board as I don't want to risk running with bent pins even if it works 'for now'. I've got no way of telling how much power is being delivered to each of the specific voltages without access to the BIOS. In addition I don't think anything more than 700W is necessary for 1 SSD, 1 560GTX and a 95w/110w CPU (no optical at present)? I only have a keyboard and occasional flash drive drawing USB voltage.

I'll update with what happens in the end, hopefully a new mobo will be sent and it'll work!

Cheers,
Andy

P.S. Interestingly I've used a loupe (powerful magnifying glass used in printing) to examine the CPU and where the pins are bent on the motherboard the CPU actually has wear marks (as if the pins are contacting correctly), although they may be short circuiting as they're bent?

i always buy the ram that is recommended by the motherboard maker.

I do too, but unfortunately there are only relatively slow and expensive 2GB DIMMs on the QVL. If I ever need to upgrade to 16GB due to my graphic design work (possible as I plan to keep the machine for 3-5yrs) it'd cost me a lot more if I filled with 4x2GB DIMMs now.

The only 4GB DIMMs on the QVL are not available anywhere I've looked for a reasonable price. Plus many users of the P8P67 have had issues with QVL memory!

Andy

Corsair Vengeance all the way.
Btw that no post no display error that's the cpu.

I can confirm that 16gb of the C9 Vengeance ram works perfectly.

Always set your board to use the xmp profile.

Now get the ripjaws so you can alternate red, blue, red blue

Oh and maybe you shorted your CPU

Back