Ram sinks

Twig and Berries said:
they will do as good if not better job than a heat spreder would, umm why not just buy new heatspreaders?
u just contradicted urself :rolleyes: of course the the will do a better job

i want someone who knows for sure and can recommend some ramsinks that are better than the ones in the link.

Those should work just fine. I am surprised you are having problems because heatspreaders are woefully ineffective and quite a joke when it comes to cooling. I know BH-5 likes its voltage and gets hot...but still...

before eclipse comes barging in i think he would recommend having active cooling over them. heatspreaders and ramsinks are just for the "blingage" active cooling over naked ram is best I think.

Sorry i don't know how to resize but here is a pic of my mushkin bh-5 ram

ram.JPG

asianguy80 said:
before eclipse comes barging in i think he would recommend having active cooling over them. heatspreaders and ramsinks are just for the "blingage" active cooling over naked ram is best I think.
agreed (with an exception ;)). the only times i would recommend heatspreaders is when the user demands good looks or protection for the ram sticks

actual heatsinks.. is another story. properly used, they are very good. but, they require one thing: airflow. without it, any type of sink is useless.

Yeah heatspeaders aren't doing anyone any favors for cooling. I have 2X512 Patriots w/ blue HS & 2X256 Corsair VS no HS(i know crappy mem setup,but i need for BF2 until i sell old setup for more $) the Patriots sometimes get too hot to touch while the Corsairs are a little warm. However that could be because the 256 sticks are single sided. :rolleyes:

I think they help a little bit, but I agree that they really need active cooling when being pushed to the limit.

I wish there were more active cooling solutions for RAM. The options available now are a joke.

www.all4amd.com if u go here u will c that im running a lian li pc71 and it have plenty of airflow that some good heatsinks would do good with

IMO, this really does help you out much, but I would not waste my time with Heatspreaders. I have worked on numerous systems and installed/seen heatspreaders, and ram sinks installed and barely noticed a difference. and yeah, when they spread heat, they spread the heat, and maake the other RAM stick hotter. If I were you and I would want to cool my RAM better try one of these: http://www.frozencpu.com/ram-02.html?id=MR64nGkQ, rather cool your RAM real time, and not just pull heat away. Elimination of heat is better.

Kaiga said:
IMO, this really does help you out much, but I would not waste my time with Heatspreaders. I have worked on numerous systems and installed/seen heatspreaders, and ram sinks installed and barely noticed a difference. and yeah, when they spread heat, they spread the heat, and maake the other RAM stick hotter. If I were you and I would want to cool my RAM better try one of these: http://www.frozencpu.com/ram-02.html?id=MR64nGkQ, rather cool your RAM real time, and not just pull heat away. Elimination of heat is better.
i aggree. i didn't want heatspreaders to begin with thats why i asked a suggestion on ramsinks

Kaiga said:
I've been eyeballing those... Do they actually work? Or are they just "extended bling-bling"? LOL

GilmourD said:
I've been eyeballing those... Do they actually work? Or are they just "extended bling-bling"? LOL
extended bling that does a decent job, but isn't worth the money. buy a 120mm fan and do a 5x better job keeping the ram cool

yeah, they do a decent job, but intsted you could just get a fan rack and mount it in your case over the RAM, like CF said, that would be better.

that works too. as said before, sinks are good, if and only if you have a fan on em, and they're well mounted to the ram chips. usually it's overkill though, cause with a decently placed fan, most ram will barely get warm

can u all recommend a link to the cooling fans that mount over the ram? since i have a window i want it to look good not ghettofied by just placing a fan over the ram

Thanks the first looks like a good find for me and will look good. i think ill do the ramsinks and the fans.

just be sure that the sinks are short enough that you can fit two sticks next to eachother ;)

Kaiga said:
yeah, they do a decent job, but intsted you could just get a fan rack and mount it in your case over the RAM, like CF said, that would be better.
Fan rack? Edumacate me in the ways of the fan rack, please.

ALL4AMD said:
lol then no dual channel
it's NF2. any combination of 2 or more sticks will work in dual channel :D
besides.. dual channel is utterly useless for any socketA rig.. the fsb simply cannot get all the data through that the memory is feeding it.

incomudro said:
Ramsinks are useless IMHO I think they hold in more heat than they let out.
heatspreaders, yes.
heatsinks, no :D

(Read: heatsinks are good, spreaders are bad)

Back