• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

RAM recommendation for Athlon 64

Panthro

n00b
Joined
Jan 29, 2004
Messages
3
Just bought a Chaintech ZNF3-150 mobo to go with my new Athlon 64 3000+. Problem is I'm having trouble with the RAM. Originally I had 2x512MB sticks of GEIL PC3500 (PC433, the 'Platinum' series with the shiny silver heatsinks. System was really unstable, wouldn't even boot up at all with both sticks installed. So I took one out, but the system was still real flakey. Double-checked the mobos specs, and it only officially supports DDR400, which I guess is normal. So, I RMA'd the GEIL RAM (thanks again newegg.com) and ordered 2x512MB of Mushkin PC3200 Level I. Sooo long story short, I'm hoping that the new RAM will be ok with my mainboard. Anybody else been having RAM issues with this motherboard or Nforce3-150 boards in general? I'm just trying to get some recommendations in case the Mushkin RAM doesn't work for me.

BTW here's the specs on my new system:

Antec Lanboy case
Antec 'Blue Sparkle' 350W power supply (comes with case)
Gainward Geforce FX 5600 (from my old machine)
Athlon 64 3000+
Chaintech ZNF3-150
Lite-on 8x DVD+-RW burner
Alps Silver Floppy drive
Western Digital 120GB SATA drive

By the way the Chaintech has a kick-ass on-board sound solution (Via Envy 24PHT) and comes with a lot of cool extras. Though if I can't find RAM that works with it, I'll be wishing I went with a more mainstream Nforce3 solution, or a board based on the Via K8T chipset.
 
you might want to get a better PSU.... 350watts for that beast you are running is a bit low IMO. try 400watts MINIMUM.
 
Back
Top