RAM Question

Masterkizz

n00b
Hello

I have finally started ordering parts for my new build
I just received my EVGA 750i ftw motherboard.

Now I have done countless ammounts of searches and read many many forums , But I still can not get a clear answer.

I plan on installing 2x gtx260 gfx cards in this build - And I also intend on running it all on windows XP 32 bit.

Now the thing I want to know is - Will having 4gb ram be a good idea? - I have read that due to addressing limitations using a 32 bit os - I will lose at least 1.8gb of available ram due to the cards being basically 900mb each.

So If I had only 2gb installed , Does this mean that the system would automatically eat up almost the 2gbs just to address the video cards leaving me with no physical ram available?

Am I wasting my time trying to use XP for this equipment?

Specs will be

EVGA 750i ftw - Q6600 - SOME RAM! - 750watt corsair psu - 2x EVGA GTX260 in sli - Sata hdd.

Any help would be great.

If you're going all out, just get Vista 64bit and not worry about anything. The 64bit edition can cater for all your memory needs (get 4GB RAM, hey.. its cheap!).

Most likely you'll have about 2.75GB addressable. It will work just fine but an upgrade to 64bit Vista would be a good idea as soon as your budget allows.

Back