Ram overclocked to 1600?

Aus10

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello, i have a asus p6t motherboard and i have 6gbs of Corsair Dominator ram. Stock it runs at like 1066mhz althouugh corsair said that the ram is to be ran at 1600mhz. Can someone please explain how to fix that in BIOS. Everytime i try i get BSOD.

Thanks

Make sure your memory is getting the correct voltage and timing. Are you overclocking the BCLK?

there is no reason or even any way the RAM will run at 1600Mhz if you are not overclocking

If you are going to run the CPU at stock speeds? why did you buy 1600Mhz RAM?

I agree with the no real reason, but the ram will run at 1600MHz even with the processor at stock speeds on the P6T.

there is no reason or even any way the RAM will run at 1600Mhz if you are not overclocking

If you are going to run the CPU at stock speeds? why did you buy 1600Mhz RAM?

Because I planned to Overclock it too 1600Mhz, I just havnt figured it out yet. Im 15 and just starting to get into computers lol. still new with this stuff.

Are you using an XMP profile or are you just selecting 1600MHz under AI Tweaker => DRAM Frequency? I have the P6T Deluxe V2 so it might be a bit different but in AI Tweaker I can select 'Ai Overclock Tuner' to be Auto/XMP/DOCP/Manual. You can either select auto and change DRAM Frequency to 1600 or choose XMP and load one of the configurations that is actually set by your memory manufacturer.

Upgrade to the latest P6T bios that is for your motherboard too @ www.asus.com
Which version do you have now?
For the regular P6T:
BIOS version 1201 => improve system stability
BIOS version 0801 and 0904 => improve memory compatibility
BIOS 1408 is the latest.

Once you get the new BIOS if you still get BSOD try using slightly lower speeds first and keep increasing until you find the fastest speed that works.

Last edited:
Are you using an XMP profile or are you just selecting 1600MHz under AI Tweaker => DRAM Frequency? I have the P6T Deluxe V2 so it might be a bit different but in AI Tweaker I can select 'Ai Overclock Tuner' to be Auto/XMP/DOCP/Manual. You can either select auto and change DRAM Frequency to 1600 or choose XMP and load one of the configurations that is actually set by your memory manufacturer.

Upgrade to the latest P6T bios that is for your motherboard too @ www.asus.com
Which version do you have now?
For the regular P6T:
BIOS version 1201 => improve system stability
BIOS version 0801 and 0904 => improve memory compatibility
BIOS 1408 is the latest.

Once you get the new BIOS if you still get BSOD try using slightly lower speeds first and keep increasing until you find the fastest speed that works.

I am not sure what BIOS i have on it now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145224

Thats the ram i have there now i plan to get another set so ill have 12gbs

Clear your CMOS and then enter the BIOS, set the OCing method to MANUAL, and enable the XMP profile for the memory.

Because I planned to Overclock it too 1600Mhz, I just havnt figured it out yet. Im 15 and just starting to get into computers lol. still new with this stuff.

Well just a helpful tip... the more info you can add in your first post the more helpful I can be ;)

15... you are to old now, I started building computers when I was like 10 and I didn't have [H] to ask all my questions to either.

If you google it hard enough there is 100s of threads/review/tutorials on how too OC that CPU and that motherboard.

I don't see the point to even bother with the RAM tell you OC the CPU.

That Asus is a great board and can get the CPU a long

PS thought this forum had an age limit? :p

Well just a helpful tip... the more info you can add in your first post the more helpful I can be ;)

15... you are to old now, I started building computers when I was like 10 and I didn't have [H] to ask all my questions to either.

If you google it hard enough there is 100s of threads/review/tutorials on how too OC that CPU and that motherboard.

I don't see the point to even bother with the RAM tell you OC the CPU.

That Asus is a great board and can get the CPU a long

PS thought this forum had an age limit? :p

Congrats on building when your 10 congrats your smarter then me sorry i asked

Hello, i have a asus p6t motherboard and i have 6gbs of Corsair Dominator ram. Stock it runs at like 1066mhz althouugh corsair said that the ram is to be ran at 1600mhz. Can someone please explain how to fix that in BIOS. Everytime i try i get BSOD.

Thanks

The problem is Intel's CPU officially supports 1066 MHz ram max. So using 1600 MHz ram you are overclocking the ram controller on the CPU. As any overclocking goes it is not guaranteed to work and you may need to tweak BIOS settings to coax the ram controller operate at the overclock.

The problem is Intel's CPU officially supports 1066 MHz ram max. So using 1600 MHz ram you are overclocking the ram controller on the CPU. As any overclocking goes it is not guaranteed to work and you may need to tweak BIOS settings to coax the ram controller operate at the overclock.

Is it even worth it to have the ram run at 1600mhz?

I am not sure about that. I would follow Mike Clements's advice if you want to try to get it to work. The XMP profiles tweak the BIOS so that the mem should work at this frequency.

I am not sure about that. I would follow Mike Clements's advice if you want to try to get it to work. The XMP profiles tweak the BIOS so that the mem should work at this frequency.

Ok thank you all for the help :)

No, not really unless you are overclocking the processor as well, which is what Nick was trying to say. He also wasn't alluding he was better than you, just that there is a tremendous wealth of information at your fingertips. Just do a little research and searching of the forums.
You never mentioned the rest of the system specs or BIOS version.

Congrats on building when your 10 congrats your smarter then me sorry i asked

And right here with that very comment you show your age and lack of self learning.

I never said any one was smarter than anyone else, I never said you were stupid. Nor was I bragging that I was able to enjoy computers at a younger age, I feel very lucky that I have a uncle that was an engineer at Intel and forced me to learn computer independently.

Read my sig line and you might understand my attitude a little better. Plus I did help you, you just must have thought it was to simply of an answer or not what you wanted to hear.

Good luck and hope you find the pointless answer you are seeking.

No, not really unless you are overclocking the processor as well, which is what Nick was trying to say. He also wasn't alluding he was better than you, just that there is a tremendous wealth of information at your fingertips. Just do a little research and searching of the forums.
You never mentioned the rest of the system specs or BIOS version.

Thanks, at least someone understands. And you are spot on but again I don't think that is what he wanted to hear.

Like I said in my other post too. If you want help from me then you need to give me more information.

What kind of RAM?
What CPU?
What mobo? (down the the revision/version #)
power supply will even help (a junk PSU will not help in the pursuit to a good or great overclocked computer)

Very true that more info will help. Prolly ought to add what is being used for cooling too. I bet we can whip system into more of a beast.

If you can't get it to run at 1600Mhz try getting it stable with lower timings. There's alot of guide's that will show you how to do it and test for stability. I have a set that won't run its rated 1600Mhz anymore, so I just tightened the timings and ran a few benchmarks and got around the same score as when they would run at 1600. As for being 15 you'll learn alot about this stuff if it interest's you, just do some looking around on this forum and don't be afraid to ask question's.

And right here with that very comment you show your age and lack of self learning.

I never said any one was smarter than anyone else, I never said you were stupid. Nor was I bragging that I was able to enjoy computers at a younger age, I feel very lucky that I have a uncle that was an engineer at Intel and forced me to learn computer independently.

Read my sig line and you might understand my attitude a little better. Plus I did help you, you just must have thought it was to simply of an answer or not what you wanted to hear.

Good luck and hope you find the pointless answer you are seeking.

Thanks, at least someone understands. And you are spot on but again I don't think that is what he wanted to hear.

Like I said in my other post too. If you want help from me then you need to give me more information.

What kind of RAM?
What CPU?
What mobo? (down the the revision/version #)
power supply will even help (a junk PSU will not help in the pursuit to a good or great overclocked computer)

Ok, I am sorry I thought you were being a smartass, I am sorry for that I relize your only trying to help me, and I pretty much through it back in your face i am sorry for that.

As for Specs, Corsair Dominator Ram
Intel i7 920
Asus P6T
Ocz ModXtreme 700watt
Corsair H50 For cooling on the CPU.
Thats about all i know, I plan to flash the BIOS soon to the latest version.

A newer BIOS should help. Shouldn't have much issue with getting that 920 above stock speeds either.

Ok, I am sorry I thought you were being a smartass, I am sorry for that I relize your only trying to help me, and I pretty much through it back in your face i am sorry for that.

As for Specs, Corsair Dominator Ram
Intel i7 920
Asus P6T
Ocz ModXtreme 700watt
Corsair H50 For cooling on the CPU.
Thats about all i know, I plan to flash the BIOS soon to the latest version.

It is all good man, I don't take it personally and I suggest you do the same. Lets move on from here.

With that setup you should be able to push close to 4.0 and with a few tricks get into the 4.2+

I have my 920 @ 4.2 and it runs solid... I can pass any Intel Burn Test you throw its way. I also run a H50 with a push/pull setup and it keeps it very cool.

Start by searching google. "how to Overclock 920 with p6t" or such searches.

If you have any questions ask, I have no problem walking you through the steps to get the OC you want.

Start with the newest BIOS and then as much researching as you can drive in to yourself before starting... get a pencil and pad of paper and write down all the details you will need while you are in BIOS (or if you have another computer to look at while you are in BIOS for settings)

Again ask questions... it is better to ask a question then burning up a $2000 computer ;)

It is all good man, I don't take it personally and I suggest you do the same. Lets move on from here.

With that setup you should be able to push close to 4.0 and with a few tricks get into the 4.2+

I have my 920 @ 4.2 and it runs solid... I can pass any Intel Burn Test you throw its way. I also run a H50 with a push/pull setup and it keeps it very cool.

Start by searching google. "how to Overclock 920 with p6t" or such searches.

If you have any questions ask, I have no problem walking you through the steps to get the OC you want.

Start with the newest BIOS and then as much researching as you can drive in to yourself before starting... get a pencil and pad of paper and write down all the details you will need while you are in BIOS (or if you have another computer to look at while you are in BIOS for settings)

Again ask questions... it is better to ask a question then burning up a $2000 computer ;)

That is true thank you, ill look it up but i am flat out clueless in BIOS. Plus i think if i O.c. i would want it around 3.4 to 3.6. I dont think i would need flat out 4.2Ghz. If i overclock to 3.4Ghz can i set the ram too 1600mhz?. I also plan to get a Evga 470 and plan too overclock it too just to like 700mhz or so maybe more. Would that be worth it too do all that? like would my computer perform alot better?
thanks

3.6 should be very easy to high with that system, and yes you will be able to run the memory @ 1600Mhz, I don't know why you are so fixed on having it run at that but that is fine.

Only way you will learn is by doing, so get into the BIOS and feel around, get your paws dirty in there, don't necessarily have to change anything but you do need to get used to going into it and playing around.

I don't think it would be a huge upgrade to go from a 4890 to a 470...but the is just me. you can look around and see th reviews.
Recommend OC the 4890 and when you can afford to get a 5xx or a 68xx... or even wait for late gen. cards.

on the video card, again more spex help, what monitor and what resolution you running? what games you play? Is there a need for you to upgrade?
If you play @ 1920x1080 and play MW2 you will not need to upgrade from the 4890.

3.6 should be very easy to high with that system, and yes you will be able to run the memory @ 1600Mhz, I don't know why you are so fixed on having it run at that but that is fine.

Only way you will learn is by doing, so get into the BIOS and feel around, get your paws dirty in there, don't necessarily have to change anything but you do need to get used to going into it and playing around.

I don't think it would be a huge upgrade to go from a 4890 to a 470...but the is just me. you can look around and see th reviews.
Recommend OC the 4890 and when you can afford to get a 5xx or a 68xx... or even wait for late gen. cards.

on the video card, again more spex help, what monitor and what resolution you running? what games you play? Is there a need for you to upgrade?
If you play @ 1920x1080 and play MW2 you will not need to upgrade from the 4890.

I guess the only reason I keep asking about 1600mhz is because that is what the ram is from corsair so although if it wont make a diffrence I wont worry about it.

I have gone into BIOS before and messed around, i think i need to more research everything about it.

I was either looking at the 6870 or the 470 and was leaning to the 470.

Monitor is a h213h i think, i play all games on 1080. I also try to max out the settings but the fps really drop.

I play games like BFBC2 css left for dead 2, i loved crysis plan on getting all 3 soon. I would also really like to get some more racing games.

I also do picture editing and i burn movies to my computer not sure if thats important or not.

I plan on running a duel-monitor setup i plan on getting the 24" of my current monitor. My current is a 22".

(
) I guess the only reason I keep asking about 1600mhz is because that is what the ram is from corsair so although if it wont make a diffrence I wont worry about it.

Tell you what, run a few benchmarks and see for yourself, it may yield you some more performance, but in games and other applications you will never know it

I have gone into BIOS before and messed around, i think i need to more research everything about it.

That is a start. Over clocking is nothing more than going into BIOS ans tweaking a few settings. Just tweak it slowly and work your way up to your goal.

I was either looking at the 6870 or the 470 and was leaning to the 470.

Personally would go with the 6870 and OC it

Monitor is a h213h i think, i play all games on 1080. I also try to max out the settings but the fps really drop.
I play games like BFBC2 css left for dead 2, i loved crysis plan on getting all 3 soon. I would also really like to get some more racing games.

ya with a 4890 you will not be able to max out BC2 or Crysis, but you should be getting endless FPS in css and L4D2 (sure you know that)
BUT you will not be able to max out Crysis with any card(s) so I would stop worrying about that real quick(I have two OCed 5850s and I don't run it anywhere near max, @ 2560x1600). BC2 @ 1080 should be a cake walk for a 6870. So keep that in mind, you could get away with the 4890 for a while longer, 1080 isn't a high res that needs lots of GPU or GDDR.

I also do picture editing and i burn movies to my computer not sure if thats important or not.

If you can load up Crysis, than your computer is fast enough to do those simple tasks :p

I plan on running a duel-monitor setup i plan on getting the 24" of my current monitor. My current is a 22". (
)

My BC2 handle is -=NsK=-Ripley Click Me Click Me

I tryed that X.M.P profile and it wanted set something too like 1.66v and it said anything over 1.65 could damage my cpu so i set it too 1.64. i cant find somewhere to set my cpu too 3.4 either....

I tryed that X.M.P profile and it wanted set something too like 1.66v and it said anything over 1.65 could damage my cpu so i set it too 1.64. i cant find somewhere to set my cpu too 3.4 either....

ya the DRAM voltage shouldn't be over 1.65v. I like to keep my CPU around 1.325v.

You dont just set the CPU to 3.4Ghz

you have to up the CPU Host Frequency (AKA QPI/BClock). and you have to do it according to your multiplier (x20 or x21 w/ turbo on) 170Mhz on the host would be 3.4Ghz

Take the CPU speed(3.4Ghz or 3400Mhz) Divided by the multiplier (x20 or x21 w/ turbo on), give you .17 or 170

3400/20 = 170 but remember turbo will add x1(if you use it, I do :D) so 3400/21 = 161.904.....

You can do that to figure out what ever CPU core speed you want, 3.4, 3.6, 3.8 etc

You will also need to add voltage to your CPU and most likely other components on the motherboard when you overclock or if they have a auto setting, auto settings will not yield high overclocks, but you really aren't looking at a high overclock with 3.4

Check for stability with Intel Burn Test or Prime95... I prefer IBT

And watch ur system temps :p

ya the DRAM voltage shouldn't be over 1.65v. I like to keep my CPU around 1.325v.

You dont just set the CPU to 3.4Ghz

you have to up the CPU Host Frequency (AKA QPI/BClock). and you have to do it according to your multiplier (x20 or x21 w/ turbo on) 170Mhz on the host would be 3.4Ghz

Take the CPU speed(3.4Ghz or 3400Mhz) Divided by the multiplier (x20 or x21 w/ turbo on), give you .17 or 170

3400/20 = 170 but remember turbo will add x1(if you use it, I do :D) so 3400/21 = 161.904.....

You can do that to figure out what ever CPU core speed you want, 3.4, 3.6, 3.8 etc

You will also need to add voltage to your CPU and most likely other components on the motherboard when you overclock or if they have a auto setting, auto settings will not yield high overclocks, but you really aren't looking at a high overclock with 3.4

Check for stability with Intel Burn Test or Prime95... I prefer IBT

And watch ur system temps :p

How much voltage will i need to add?

How much voltage will i need to add?

Unknown variable, can not compute.

That is the trick, you must learn to add and then remove just enough to make the system stable and not run to hot, it is a balancing act.

you should be safe at 1.25v-1.30v for starters, for the CPU

If that is stable @ 3.4Ghz+ then you could try takin some off. If it isn't stable go higher.

You will not hurt it if you do to little, you can hurt it if you give it to much. but 1.35v even isn't to much and you shouldn't be that high.

NOTE: @ 4.2Ghz my 920 has 1.325 volts vcore and QPI vcore is 1.325v as well etc etc etc.

I just reset BIOS and changed the Blck thing too 150. now its at 3.00Ghz just a little more lol

there you go... when ever you bump it up you should run a Intel Burn Test to check if the system is stable.

Will give you an idea if it stable and if you need to add volts

Not sure with an I7 but with a lga 775 this is how you do it with stock voltage and nothing oced

enable manual oc in bios
set pci spread spectrum to disable
set psi to fixed
set ce c2 to disable
set any cpu throttleing to disable
set cpu spread spectrum to disable
set pcie bus to 100 (must do this are you will oc your graphics card along wit cpu)
set fsb to auto
set multiplyer or ratio (same thing) to the lowest
then set ram to ddr3 1600 mhz

if it is not showing up then set fsb to 400 instead of auto.

reset and look what your cpu speed is. it should be lower then normal. slowly reset and raise your cpu ratio up untill your cpu hits native speed. mine was 8.5 native ratio but i lowered it to 7 to equal native speed.

Back