• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Ram Opinion needed

Focusun

n00b
Joined
Sep 21, 2007
Messages
39
For my new build (Q6600 on Gigabyte P35-DS4 rev 2) I was leaning toward two kits of Ballistix (2x1GB SDRAM ddr2 800 (PC6400) (94.00 @ Newegg)
I then read that it may be advisable to have all four gig on just two sticks !
So - I find that the nearest ram choice in 2X2 narrows to 1) Patriot Extreme 2x2 PC6400 174.00 mir (newegg) or 2) Corsair XMS2 PC6400 214.00 mir (newegg) 3) Corsair 2x2 PC6400 205.00 mir (newegg)
Should I just go with two kits of ballistix, or would I be better with one of the obove kits?
Thanks for your help. ::D
 
if running xp-32bit or vista 32 bit the machine will only recognize 3.5gig.64 bit xp and vista can see higher memory amounts 2 gig is probably all you need at the moment unless running photoshop and other memory intensive apps. peace
 
Dr.DU
I should have given more info. I will be using Vista 64 and I do use Photoshop almost daily as I'm a photographer. I fairly frequently drop a gig of raw into photoshop for rendering to JPGs after any correction. I know the 4 gig will help, just don't know if there is an advantage of 4 sticks vs 2 to get there. Thanks:)
 
not a guru so i am trying to pull this from memory(i made a funny).usually 2 sticks will work better than all 4 being populated.i did not believe there is a big enough difference that one would notice and i think they are more stable
 
I have 4x1gig pc8500 Ballistix Tracers and haven't had any issues OC Q6600 B3 to 3ghz while running memory at 1066 (5-5-5-15 2.2v) on a Gigabyte P35-DQ6. The only reason I see for going with 2x2gig is the upgrade path to 8gig. With PC6400 there may be better OC room with 2x2gig sticks than 4x1gig, but if you get PC8500 you most likely won't need to OC the ram.
 
Back
Top