• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Ram in overclocking

Pwoz

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 2, 2005
Messages
74
Am I better off going with some more expensive 2-3-2-6 PC3200 for about $140 for 2x 512mb or 2x 512mb of OCZ PC4800 2.5-4-4-10 for $200. I'm trying to get a hold of an Opty 144 and overclock it, just unsure which ram will work out better performance wise and overclockability.

Thanks.
 
i wish i could help .. don't know much about the opty's

what are you trying to overclock for? gameing etc .. or just to do it?

is this a new build? do you already have the graphics card?
 
if it'll help him get an answer more quickly, i can shed some light on the opty venus core.

venus = san diego. possibly with a different memory controller since it's supposed to be server/workstation cpu. also oc's very well (2.8~3.0ghz on air!). end of story.
 
malicious said:
i wish i could help .. don't know much about the opty's

what are you trying to overclock for? gameing etc .. or just to do it?

is this a new build? do you already have the graphics card?

It's going to be a new build, trying to get rid of my laptop and replace it with a desktop. I'm probably going to go with a 6800gt video card. The overclockability on the opty makes it really desirable for the price to me, but it seems like getting one is going to be a major hassle. Last system I made was running a 2500+ barton and I know from those days mem dividers were a bad thing, but I hear they are fine to use now which is why I am considering the PC3200.
 
FWIW, I'd go with the tighter timings. The system would be a little more responsive. You could run a divider and keep the tight timings, or in some cases (dependes on the memory) you could loosen the timings a little and may still be able to run the memory 1:1.
 
Pwoz said:
Am I better off going with some more expensive 2-3-2-6 PC3200 for about $140 for 2x 512mb or 2x 512mb of OCZ PC4800 2.5-4-4-10 for $200. I'm trying to get a hold of an Opty 144 and overclock it, just unsure which ram will work out better performance wise and overclockability.

Thanks.

what? You say $140 2x512 is more expensive than $200 2x512 w/ worse timings? I'd go with the tighter timed and cheaper ram and use a divider. No need to buy fast ram.
 
it makes sense the looser timed ram is more expensive as it is already set for very high clock speeds. however, the cheaper ram will suffice. w/amd 64 chips the mem controller is on die, meaning that memory mhz above 200 is not necessary and actually will give you no real-world performance increase. a few of the more wise ocing forum members have shown many benchmarks showing this. buy the cheaper stuff and use memory dividers while you oc to keep your ram around stock speeds.
 
wadec22 said:
it makes sense the looser timed ram is more expensive as it is already set for very high clock speeds. however, the cheaper ram will suffice. w/amd 64 chips the mem controller is on die, meaning that memory mhz above 200 is not necessary and actually will give you no real-world performance increase. a few of the more wise ocing forum members have shown many benchmarks showing this. buy the cheaper stuff and use memory dividers while you oc to keep your ram around stock speeds.


nice advice from a guy running some of the highest clocking ram produced


price to performance ratio IMO is OCZ VX 3200
it's about 130 and will run 240+ at 2226 on a dfi board w/ 3.5v
 
Back
Top