RAM for P67 - Retailer sent 2/3rds of a 6 GB (3x2GB) kit ?!?

annoyed

n00b
Hi,

Overclockers just sent me my order, which included RAM for an Asrock P67 Extreme6. I am waiting for the motherboard from a different retailer, as they are sold out.

I ordered 4GB of Corsair XMS3 RAM (2 x 2GB). They shipped a different product - it is two of the three from an equivalent Corsair 3 x 2GB. Some cheeky fucker in their warehouse ticked the order list off with a pen, even though they put a different product number in. At first I thought maybe I'd gotten 6GB for the price of 4GB, which would be good news if it was compatible, but that is not what happened.

To be clear, I ordered:
Corsair XMS3 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit (CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)

I received:
Corsair XMS3 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Triple Channel (CMX6GX3M3A1600C9) ... but with only 2 modules out of the three.

When I ordered, I checked the RAM against the QVL. The motherboard vendor (ASRock) does not certify the 3 x 2GB kit though, and the weird combination of using two thirds of such a kit is not tested.

My questions:
(I know people are going to say to send it back, I just want to have the facts first).

1. I suspect the modules are the same spec. as the 4 GB set. Is it reasonable to assume they would be compatible?

2. Looking at the RAM, it is in good condition, but looking at the contacts, I can see that it has been inserted at least once. Perhaps Corsair do this during manufacture when testing. When you get brand new RAM, do you see faint marks along the contacts like that?

3. In general with matched pairs of RAM, or match triples like a 3 x 2GB kit, I assumed they were sold as a set and tested by the manufacturer as such. The two modules came in two separate plastic containers thrown together in a Jiffy bag. Am I right in saying these would normally be sold packed as a set?

Thank you for any insights you can provide.

Last edited:
P67s don't even support triple channel is my understanding. Can those 3 kit rams "downgrade" themselves to run in dual channel? If not...I'd send it back.

Edit: I did some digging around the net and it seems you can run 3x ram in 2x mode just fine. I'd probably keep the ram in that case.

I wouldn't worry about the RAM not being certified on your board as long as it runs at it's rated speed at 1.5v. It's probably not certified because people don't buy triple channel kits for a dual channel mobo.

FWIW though, when I first got my P8P67 Pro, I didn't have all the RAM in yet so I pulled 3x XMS3 1600 2gig sticks and a XMS3 1333 2gig stick from one of my i7 920 rigs. The computer ran and overclocked just fine.

As patric said, make sure that RAM is the 1.5V type as Sandy Bridge does not support 1.65V RAM. Most of the triple channel kits are of the 1.65V variety.

I think that if you're dealing with a retailer that pulls stunts like this, you'll probably have more trouble sending it back than it's worth (unless you know their customer service to be good otherwise). Unless the RAM is defective, there's no reason why it won't work. And for the record, there's no such thing as "3x" RAM or "2x" RAM; it's just RAM. The number of channels is determined by the memory controller on the CPU.

Edit: It looks like both those kits are 1.65v. You got what you ordered, but it's not ideal for sandy bridge.

Thanks guys.

Erm, confused. The RAM I ordered is 1.65V and it is certified by ASRock. It is also certified by ASUS (was considering P8P67 Deluxe before I ordered the ASRock). What is the problem with 1.65V RAM?

I am still not clear on the pairs/triples of RAM. When you buy a matched pair e.g. a Corsair set like 2 x 2GB, are the sold as a pair that have been tested together by Corsair? Or are they just two DIMMs that are the same spec. and should work together OK (in theory)?

OK, looking at the ASUS P8P67 Deluxe QVL (ASRock do not include the voltage in their QVL). Most of the 1600MHz RAM on that list is 1.65V.

What RAM do you recommend then, with a P67 motherboard?

1.65v will work, but any higher can potentially destroy the memory controller on the CPU [ref]. You can google "sandy bridge 1.65v memory" for various discussions of this.

Since 1.5v memory nowadays is available at no premium over 1.65v memory, 1.65v memory has fallen out of fashion. But there isn't any danger in using it.

P67s don't even support triple channel is my understanding. Can those 3 kit rams "downgrade" themselves to run in dual channel? If not...I'd send it back.

Edit: I did some digging around the net and it seems you can run 3x ram in 2x mode just fine. I'd probably keep the ram in that case.
There is no such thing as dual channel, triple channel, etc RAM. Memory channels are entirely dependent on the memory controller, not the memory itself.

According to the Corsair site, they test pairs/triples together, so a retailer who sends me two in Jiffy bag is not to be trusted...

Hmm quick question guys when I look into cpu-z it shows my ram voltage at 1.6. Im using g skill ripjaws x on p8p67 deluxe. Is this a problem or only an error in cpu-z because on the manufactures website it says 1.5v

send it back, get a refund, buy your ram from somewhere else ?

Maybe they ran out of the dual-stick sets so they sent you a tri-stick set and just pulled one stick? If that's the case they should have given you the option instead of just assuming.

Anyway, triple channel RAM is the same as dual channel RAM is the same as a single stick of RAM. When RAM is sold in sets it's just been tested by the manufacturer to work "better" (whatever that really means) when used together. To be honest if the 3 sticks worked together then 2 of the sticks should work together as well.

They're saying they are all the same bar the stickers. My concern is that Corsair describe the product as a match pair (or triple), so when I get two in a bag, I don't know whether they were tested together at all.

There was no shortage when I ordered, so I doubt they had to resort to this. Based on the attitude of the guy who replied to me, they don't give a fuck.

I've not gotten an answer from the this forum to two questions:
1. Do the RAM manufacturers really test and ship pairs of RAM modules together and does it matter?
2. If they test them, is it normal therefore to see some wear on the contacts on new DIMMs? I can and somebody might have RMA'd a 3x set. The testing method used by the manufacturer may not require inserting them in a socket (e.g. another type of testing device that clamps on and leaves no marks), or maybe it does...

If there is wear on the contacts I'd definitely send them back...

I'd also contact Corsair and see if they've already been registered. I'd let Corsair know as well that this retailer is doing this.

Sent back - Overclockers.co.uk are treating it as an RMA. They better not try and apply restocking fees. Sent them the cost of returning the RAM.

Bought some low-voltage RAM from a different retailer.

WHat if he needs to RMA it. I had to RMA one bad stick in a triple channel kit and corsair wouldn't take just one stick, they needed all three sticks in order to complete the RMA process. If this holds true for the OP it would be impossible to get warranty service since he doesn't have the third stick.

Update: Overclockers refunded me for the RAM, but they did not pay the cost of sending it back.

Given that they said they didn't think they did anything wrong in sending me a different part number from what I ordered, I have no reason to think they would not do this to other customers in the future.

Update: Overclockers refunded me for the RAM, but they did not pay the cost of sending it back.

Given that they said they didn't think they did anything wrong in sending me a different part number from what I ordered, I have no reason to think they would not do this to other customers in the future.

Dude I wouldnt stand for that. Tell them they're paying the return shipping or you're getting your credit card company involved. If it makes you more confident shoot Corsair an email and see what they think. I bet the above poster and his warranty experience is correct.

Update: I raised a complaint and they now promise they will add the shipping to the refund. I mentioned it anyway in the note with the RMA'd RAM.

Glad you're getting your money back, but wow that is pretty damn shady. Never heard anything like it.

Overclockers.co.uk are off my personal Preferred Supplier List for the foreseeable future.

Back