Ram Clocked Wrong.

Firebat

Gawd
Wow, I checked in my BIOS and it says that my ram is pc2100? One stick came with the computer and the other i bought. Both sticks of ram i have are pc2700. I've tried all the slots, i've tried reseting the Bios, And ive even tried each stick individualy. But it always runs at Pc2100. What the hell is going on. I would like to someday overclock but first i have to fix this problem.

See my post after the two next posts.

What kind of computer? Vendor, model number, and whatever specs you have would all help.

What mavalpha said.

Do yourself and others a favor by briefly listing your system components in your signature.

Alright heres more info. The First stick of ram was 256mb. Pre-Installed. I than added 512 more Mbs of Kingston Ram. I have never really looked at my BIOS untill yesterday when I realized my ram was running as PC2100 :confused: . So I Took out The 512 mb of ram and booted my system. I set all BIOS setings to defult, and tried the 256 mb stick in both slots. The damn thing was still running as PC2100. So I took that out and tried the same thing with the 512mb Strip. That also ran alone as PC2100. Further more, I checked both sticks of ram out and they both said PC2700 333mhz on them. So i just put em both back in and im now runnning at PC2100 :( . The Worse thing about it is my BIOS is locked under the Ram Catagory. So i can't access it. I contacted Emachines and they told me to double check with them before buying new ram. I told them my story and they kinda blew it off, like it didn't happen. I also told them Both Ram sticks are identicle except for size. PC2700 333mhz 2.5v.

So by the looks of things im stuck on my own. Any suggestions are totaly welcome.

By the way the only thing i ever did in my BIOS is reset the settings, nothing else.

If it's a 533FSB P4 it will just run the ram at PC2100 since the stock bus speed is 133x4 for 533.

The only way you'd see PC2700 speeds (166) would be to OC the chip to a bus of 166 for an effective FSB of 664.

Since your ram is running at 133 (for PC2100 speeds) your bios will report it as PC2100, try CPU-Z since it will read the SPD info and report the ram's speed as well as it's actual rated speed plus specific vendor info.

Woa, wierd it says my fsb is 100mhz and my bus speed is 400mhz. Ram speed 133mhz.

It's running the ram with a divider then, that's normal for the 845 chipsets, it helps to give a bit more performance.

At least you know that you can upgrade to a faster CPU should you want to since you've got a board that supports 533FSB.

Stupid, emachine people. They didn't even know the ram's supposed to be clocked at this?

My suggestion is to buy a new mobo. You won't be able to overclock anything with the one you have, and that chip should do 3.2ghz nicely.

hmm...... Anyone who is overclocking has to open there case at some point right? To add cooling or to mess with the jumper settings, so why would emachines care if people overclock? The Warranty would be void as soon as you open the case so they wouldn't have to pay jack.

But you bought an eMachines... I don't think you can expect enthusiast settings and all the fun stuff.

Back