Ram checking software.

pArTy

Limp Gawd
I need a program that checks what gets loaded into the ram at start up. Some how my ram gets 400-500mb full after my computer is fully booted up. I dont know if this is because of AVG7 or what. I dont have any programs runing in background besides AVG7. Also anyone know of any good anti virus software that isnt a resource PIG?

ctrl-alt-del to task manager
look in the processes tab
click on the memory field button to sort by amout of memory used

It will show how much ram each process is using.

start -> run -> "msconfig"

that'll let you control startup apps.

Alt ctrl delete doesnt tell what dlls get loaded into windows and doesnt tell what all the ram is being used by. msconfig I know also but msconfig sucks. What happens when you start your computer is some programs start up and load the dlls into the memory than close after there done loading there dlls. Go into alt ctrl delete right now and add up the memory it says the programs are using. It wont be the same as how much memory is being used total in the memory.

Make sure you take your disk cache into account when you're adding things up.

Also, if a program starts, loads a dll, then exits, the dll should be unloaded from memory unless it's used by another running program. If there is another program using it, I don't know if the memory used by the dll is added into that program's RAM pool, but I doubt it would be. It would only make sense to lump it into the memory used by the OS.

check your registry with the "regedt32" command (or "regedit" in Win9x)

check both the hkey_local_machine and the hkey_current_user in:
software -> microsoft -> windows -> current version -> run (actually any folder starting with the word "run")

also try running adaware (www.lavasoft.de)

is your machine also up-to-date with the security patches?

look for bootvis from microsoft, it may help you decipher your entire boot process.

Kaos said:
look for bootvis from microsoft, it may help you decipher your entire boot process.
Thanks. I completly forgot about that program. Thats what I need.

Sandman said:
Make sure you take your disk cache into account when you're adding things up.

Also, if a program starts, loads a dll, then exits, the dll should be unloaded from memory unless it's used by another running program. If there is another program using it, I don't know if the memory used by the dll is added into that program's RAM pool, but I doubt it would be. It would only make sense to lump it into the memory used by the OS.
I know theres a setting some where in windows that will make the dlls unload after a program exits but with my computer its probley enabled(Make the unused dlls unload).

i checked out some other posts and found this http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/maxmem.htm
and this is what it does "Have you ever noticed how your computer always seems to run better after rebooting? Do you wish it could be that peppy all day? Well, now it can be with a little help from AnalogX MaxMem!
AnalogX MaxMem is a realtime physical memory management program that automatically ensures that you always have as much physical memory available as possible. It does this by allowing you to set minimum amounts of memory to be made available under certain circumstance, and then passively monitoring how much system resources are being used. It runs in the system tray, and also shows you exactly how much memory you have available, plus graphs how you've been using memory over the last 60 seconds!"hope that helps. can anyone reading this help me out on my post. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=862165 :confused: hope that helps your ram question .

Back