RAIDO0 Array Toast?

SILENCER00

Gawd
Just after installing Call of Duty, upon reboot, my raid array (2 80G WDSE drives) decided to die on me...apparently drive 1 of the 2 drive stripe is broken or disconnected (according to the promise fasttrack100 tx2 raid controller's on-boot utility). I tried running dxdiag to check for errors, but both drives came up in perfect working condition. Is there anything else I can try before just sucking it up and admitting that one of the drives is toast and going back to a singular drive?

chkdsk?
break the array (move to a normal IDE Channel) and test each individually with WD lifeguard diagnostic

Originally posted by Ice Czar
chkdsk?
break the array (move to a normal IDE Channel) and test each individually with WD lifeguard diagnostic

does that work? i've always heard that if a raid 0 array dies there's nothing you can do. there's no special formatting or anything by the raid array to put it in raid 0?

chkdsk checks for filesystem corruption
whereas the manufacturers HDD utility checks for bad sectors on a HDD controller level

Ive seen it work before, though not all that often

if there isnt a physical problem
(bad cables, bad controller, bad HDD)
then the RAID descriptor, of filesystem level infoprmation got corrupted (which could be at lot of different levels, a power event, from poor cable transmission, RAM, even the HDDs ECC makes mistakes occassionally)

a simple chkdsk without the /f fix switch is just going to give you a report

cut and paste

while the chkdsk command would lockout sectors at the OS filesystem level
Scanning for Filesystem Data Corruption
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry I didn't mean dxdiag (lol), what I meant was that I plugged each harddrive in seperately and tested them with WD's diagnostic util, both came up with error code: 0000, meaning that they are both perfectly functional (or at least thats what the util said). I find this odd since the raid card util said that drive 1 is bad, but WD's util said both drives are fine. Maybe my problem isnt the drives?

Back