Raiding a 1TB drive with existing data...

Dillusion

Supreme [H]ardness
Simple question; I think. Can you add a drive to a raid array, 0 or 1 or 0+1 with data already on the drive? I have an HTPC with over 700GB of backed up media on it, and I want to add a second 1TB drive in order to RAID/Backup my data incase of a good old hardware failure.

Any ideas? This possible?

iirc you will need to delete the partitions of the basic disk to make a dynamic disk with volumes. but if you already have a stripped set or mirror you can add to it.

So I would need to buy two more drives, raid them in mirror, and then add one more to the mirror? Or buy two more in stripe and add the data as a mirror which copies over to the other two...

Software or hardware RAID? In Windows software RAID you can convert the existing disc to dynamic, add the second drive and convert that to dynamic and then mirror the partition on the first disc.

since 1tb hd's are getting cheaper as we speak, i personally would buy 2 of them. Then start by making a copy of all your stuff to one of them and then attempting to add the other disk to the array. It is always a great idea to have a backup if you are going to be making changes to the way your disks are configured, just incase something gets botched...

Back