• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

RAID6 and how set stripe size?

Ondrej

n00b
Joined
Jun 15, 2017
Messages
22
Hello everyone,
I still can not decide which size of stripe to choose for Raid 6 :-( I do not know..

-
Somebody says the smaller the better .. But I will not have a database ..
I thought the controller was adjusting itself by the size of the drives. But ARECA always chooses a size of 64k. I tried it on 500gb disks, 4TB or 10TB and it always chooses 64k by default.


Disks I have 5x 10TB IronWolf PRO. The .mp3, .iso files - of installing applications, photo backup will be saved in the RAID. And 80% of movies in .mkv

Which strip to choose 64/128 / 256 or 512? Or mega big 1024kb.
My controler is Areca 1882..

This is a domestic use where it is limited to 1gbit LAN. Where the home server DLNA server runs and a total of up to 7 users access the server via SAMBA (sharing windows) or DLNA.

It is also necessary to count on the fact that some disk will die over time. So I have to take into account when I insert a new disk. So it takes a reasonable time to recover. If the size of strips is affected.

Please consider what stripe size is the most versatile. I have found no answer anywhere ..

Thank you all !
 
So, I don't have a direct answer for you - I've never done any benchmarks or anything of the sort. I use Areca cards as well, and we've always left our stripe at the default, which is the 64KB. My biggest array is 120 TB and the 64KB stripe has been fine.

What I *can* tell you is that for your application, it won't matter one bit.
  • I do not believe the stripe size will matter for a RAID rebuild; your limiting factor there is typically a combination of the write speed of the new drive and the actual performance of the RAID controller to calculate the double parity bits of RAID6. It should be a reasonable, but not necessarily quick rebuild time (many hours, possibly 15+)
  • From a user throughput perspective, even a single standalone SATA disk can easily saturate a 1 GbE NIC, and you've got 5 of them on a high performance RAID controller; your network interface is going to be your speed limit essentially 100% of the time.
 
sinisterDei is correct. Unless you go to something like 4G Fiber or better, your storage system won't be what slows you down.
 
Using a 10gb InfiniBand network and raid 6 with 12 disks in each raid set with different stripe sizes I can tell you with some certainty it doesn't matter. LoL
 
While you would probably never realize any performance benefit from deviating from the default, if you ever had to replace that failed RAID controller .... if you forgot that you changed the RAID Strip size from 64K ...... it could cause some issues (y)
 
While you would probably never realize any performance benefit from deviating from the default, if you ever had to replace that failed RAID controller .... if you forgot that you changed the RAID Strip size from 64K ...... it could cause some issues (y)
Hm, I don't know about this. I've moved arrays from one Areca controller to another and I don't even have to import a configuration or anything, the arrays they create are compatible between different models of their controllers and bring over their config and I would assume stripe size would be in there. That said, I have never messed with different stripe sizes so it is still possible it could cause some kind of problem I'm not aware of.

I know my 24 port Areca arrays get north of 2 GB/s performance out of them at 64 KB stripe size, and when a drive dies in the 22 disk R6 array it takes around 20 hours to rebuild.
 
Hm, I don't know about this. I've moved arrays from one Areca controller to another and I don't even have to import a configuration or anything, the arrays they create are compatible between different models of their controllers and bring over their config and I would assume stripe size would be in there. That said, I have never messed with different stripe sizes so it is still possible it could cause some kind of problem I'm not aware of.

I know my 24 port Areca arrays get north of 2 GB/s performance out of them at 64 KB stripe size, and when a drive dies in the 22 disk R6 array it takes around 20 hours to rebuild.

I have only owned and used one Areca card, so if You said I was mistaken on this, I wouldn't argue the point.
 
I have only owned and used one Areca card, so if You said I was mistaken on this, I wouldn't argue the point.

Haha, well it's guessing all around, since though I've moved arrays from one card to another I've still never messed with stripe size. Either way, I think the original question is answered - it's not worth it to fuck with the stripe size!
 
Back
Top