RAID5 Question - Drives got mixed up - Any solution here?

tbird2340

Gawd
Joined
Oct 22, 2002
Messages
642
A customer of ours had a server die (Dell PowerEdge 2850).. He had another 2850 so he decided to take the drives out of the dead and put it into the working one..

That didn't work.. When that didn't work he started moving drives all around.. So that's when I got brought in..

I have a dead server and a working server.. However, I have 9 HDD's and he doesn't know where / which slots / server they went in to..

Is there ANY way to figure this out.. I told him he's screwed but wanted 100% verification..

The array config shows 1 drive online out of 4 (RAID5) and the other 3 as failed..

Thanks
 
the SCSI controller should be able to figure out the drive order and volume automatically.
do both 2850 servers have identical controllers (firmware/ram/battery)?
how did the server 'die'?
 
Back
Top