Raid5 and dynamic disks configuration question.

cbutters

Gawd
Hi, I just setup a home server, and Im looking for some input on my raid5 configuration.
I am not new to computers, just new to Raid, this is the first time Ive set one up.

My setup is as follows
AMD 690G platform
Athlon X2 4000 (undervolted to 1.0v)
Transcend 266x 8GB CF/IDE HDD (running Windows 2003 Server, page file diabled)
To conserve power, everything is disabled that can be, and voltages are lowered.
System pulls about 32watts idle (without the RAID array installed yet)

I have an adaptec 2810SA 8 port sata raid controller card.
5 1TB WD10EACS drives with TLER enabled (7second)

My goal was to have a single RAID5 protected 4TB volume to store my movies/tv/roms/isos/software

I ran into a few problems:
As I went to initialize my array, I realized that my card only supported 2.1TB maximum arrays. I thought that I was SOL and I would need to buy a new controller card. But then I realized I could use windows dynamic disks to extend my volume across multiple arrays.
I originally did a 2.1TB and a 1.5TB array, but then thought that equal sized arrays might be better so I did 3 1.2TB arrays.
so now I have three arrays, converted them to dynamic disks, and spanned a 3.63TB (4.0TB) volume and let it build.

Everything is working fine, but I have a few questions now about my setup;
  • Is this the optimal way to configure my drive space?
  • How do you all utilize your arrays and set up your drives?
  • Are dynamic disks a no no with raid?
  • would a 2.1TB and 1.5TB array be better than 3x1.2TB arrays?
  • It took about 22 Hrs per 1.2TB array to build (66Hrs total). Is this normal?
  • I used the default stripe size of 256k, is that sufficient?
  • I am a little underwhelmed by the speed, although it is quicker than a normal drive, Im worried that it isnt up to par with other raid5 setups I have seen.
Here are my benchmark numbers:
perf.jpg

So anyways, any input to my questions and concerns would be appreciated. Thanks.

I found out through real life file copy testing that 256k stripe works best for large files like movies, smaller files do better using it.
I will post my results later, regarding that.

Stripe size comparisson:
raid54ey5.jpg
raid58gg5.jpg

I had one drive fail on me and noticed a slight (10%) increase in synthetic bench marks when doing 4xdrive RAID0 and Raid5 with all healthy drives.
I don't know if that would translate into any real life gains though.
:)

Back