• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

RAID1 question

Joined
Dec 12, 2004
Messages
584
Does Xp Pro or Vista support RAID1 which is fault tolerance?. Under the disk management by creating dynamic disk.
I know the windows servers does it both 2000 and 2003.
I don't know much about RAID and im building a new rig soon I want fault tolerance and going to use 2 disk for that.
 
  • Support as in allow?
    Yes, if you have a RAID controller. With a RAID controller, the setup happens at the hardware level and Windows sees a single drive for a pair of disks in RAID1. Many SATA controllers support basic RAID0 and RAID1 (some also support higher levels of RAID). I've never tried a software RAID1, so I can't comment, however, I suspect they do.​
  • Support as in built-in software?
    Not in XP that I've ever found. I don't know Vista.​
 
I want to know if i can have RAID 0 and RAID 1 in the same computer system.
The board I want Intel D975XBX2, has Matrix RAID option but I don't want to use it since it only allows 2 SATA drives.
Now I want to setup this way;
2X 320GB HD as RAID1, this is just for all my data.
2X 160GB HD as RAID0 for performance, but I will want to dual boot with XP and Vista, is it possible on Raid1?
Never play with raid before, wonder when I install windows will it detect has 1 HD on my RAID0?
 
∞Velocitymaster∞;1030492628 said:
I want to know if i can have RAID 0 and RAID 1 in the same computer system.

Yes

∞Velocitymaster∞;1030492628 said:
The board I want Intel D975XBX2, has Matrix RAID option but I don't want to use it since it only allows 2 SATA drives.

If I understand Matrix RAID correctly, you don't need to use it.

You've got several SATA ports there and it seems like you might have two separate SATA controllers (the Intel overview doc for that MB is vague) It seems to me like you should be able to use either 4 or 8 SATA drives.

∞Velocitymaster∞;1030492628 said:
Now I want to setup this way;
2X 320GB HD as RAID1, this is just for all my data.
2X 160GB HD as RAID0 for performance, but I will want to dual boot with XP and Vista, is it possible on Raid1?

RAID is handled at the MB and BIOS level, so that's not a problem.

∞Velocitymaster∞;1030492628 said:
Never play with raid before, wonder when I install windows will it detect has 1 HD on my RAID0?

Yes, Windows will show your system as having 1x320 (the RAID1) and 1x320 (the RAID0) since the RAID1 drives are in parallel and the RAID0 are added.

BTW - if you do want RAID5, that's supported in the controller, so you don't need any Windows modifications or upgrades specifically for that.
 
thanks very much for the info, you two answer all the questions I have.
You've got several SATA ports there and it seems like you might have two separate SATA controllers (the Intel overview doc for that MB is vague) It seems to me like you should be able to use either 4 or 8 SATA drives.

.


Yes i look up the board and it has 2 separate SATA controllers
 
As for the Vista question, at least with Vista Business, it looks like it's the same as XP Pro: Simple, Spanned, and Stripped. No redundancy available.
 
I think the regsitry hack is still there thou. The disk managment thing was licensed from veritas. I suspect the code is still the same. Just need to mod the right key again.
 
I think the regsitry hack is still there thou. The disk managment thing was licensed from veritas. I suspect the code is still the same. Just need to mod the right key again.

Vista Home Basic/ Premium appear to not support dynamic disks at all. So the hack may not work for either of these versions.
 
Back
Top