Raid0 that bad?

Redleader

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
2,753
Im redoing my computer right now and have two raptors to add to the mix. Ive read all the things about how Raid0 doesnt do much good on desktop setups but Id like to see for myself anyways. But I only want to if there are not alot of problems like slower loadings and such like some people claimed. What kind of problems are there with Raid0? Thanks guys.
 
i too am running raid 0. i dont know about speed issues but data issues: because half of each file is stored on each disk if one goes bang, you've lost it all :O just a warning...
 
Your sequential transfer rate will be higher, but you will only see marginal increases in performance unless you do a lot of video/photo editing or large file transfers. Usually I'd recommend getting a faster/bigger single disk for the same or less than the raid0 set up, but Raptor is the top so no where to go (unless you want SCSI).

There are draw backs to running raid0. If you lose a single disk in the array you lose the data on both disks.
Storagereview.com has a boat load of articles about raid0, which are probably worth a glance.
There is also a link in the sticky at the top of this board What RAID can and cannot do.
 
"but Raptor is the top so no where to go"

That's assuming that he has the 150GB raptor. If not, sell them both and get one of those.
 
Id like to see for myself anyways.
Okay. Have fun.

No, really. Try it and report back. Some people find it makes a difference one way or the other, some don't. It depends on chipset, workload, driver revision, what drives (ADFD or GD?), and how sensitive you are to disk performance. Since you've specified none of these, and some are hard to specify (workload, for example) it's not real easy to answer. Indeed, even if you did answer all those questions, hardly anyone has exactly the same setup, so you'd be unlikely to get an answer that helped you.
 
What kind of problems are there with Raid0? Thanks guys.
You really shouldn't have problems if you understand the steps to get it setup. Sounds like you're doing a fresh install. Attach the drives to the RAID controller, enable the controller in the BIOS, then create the array in the RAID BIOS and start the OS install. Have the correct drivers on a floppy for the Windows(I assume) install when it prompts you at the start(press F6). Let us know how it goes, good luck.
 
Ok beside data loss thats the only main problem? Im doing a fresh start so everything is backed up right now so no worry. I bought the raptors just for fun so "waste of money" isnt part of it. Thanks for your answers guys. Got any suggestions on how to do some testing? Ive got time to test Raid0 vs just one hdd so I can get some results for myself.
 
You also may have issues with access times.

If you work with many small files, then your access times could effectively double.

Lets say you have a 128kb file and your stripe size is set to 64k.

That file will be broken up into two parts and stored on both drives. Now when you go to access that file, BOTH drives have to seek for the part that is on their disk. So, you've effectively doubled your access time.

Riley
 
Ok beside data loss thats the only main problem? Im doing a fresh start so everything is backed up right now so no worry. I bought the raptors just for fun so "waste of money" isnt part of it. Thanks for your answers guys. Got any suggestions on how to do some testing? Ive got time to test Raid0 vs just one hdd so I can get some results for myself.
Use an imaging program to put the exact same OS install on both configurations to be fair. After timing bootup and each program you wish to, once, reboot again for each subsequent test so cache and memory are cleared. I find it best to disable your Ethernet port in the BIOS if your on a broadband internet connection to get more consistant boot times. Three tests will give you a respectable average. Have fun.
 
RAID0 will slaughter your children while you sleep. It will kill your dog and burn down your house.
 
I'm pondering doing some tests with RAID 0 if/when I get the two Raptor 150s I want. I've said plenty of times in this forum that I think there are better ways to use multiple drives, just wish I had the hardware and time to establish the *best* way.
 
You could always single system drive, swap file on the other type deal. Also the type of raid controller you are using could impact is performance as well I think. Test it out, use what suits you best.
 
That file will be broken up into two parts and stored on both drives. Now when you go to access that file, BOTH drives have to seek for the part that is on their disk. So, you've effectively doubled your access time.

The requests are issued simultaneously, so it shouldn't double the access time.
 
The requests are issued simultaneously, so it shouldn't double the access time.

However, it does increase it - you have to wait for whichever disk is farther from putting the requested sector under its head to finish spinning. At only 120 revs/sec, this takes a while.
 
I have 2 Raptors in RAID 0 and its very fast. I've had a single configuration Raptor, fast 7200 RPM drives and everything inbetween. My RAID 0 setup is definately not 'slower' than any other setup I've had. I have no noticable access time slow down, which I think is a ridiculous claim anyway.

Try it I think you'll like it. If you are really worried about drive failure (which a single drive can fail too) get a small external drive and backup your data periodically - problem solved.



 
I have 2 Raptors in RAID 0 and its very fast. I've had a single configuration Raptor, fast 7200 RPM drives and everything inbetween. My RAID 0 setup is definately not 'slower' than any other setup I've had. I have no noticable access time slow down, which I think is a ridiculous claim anyway.

Try it I think you'll like it. If you are really worried about drive failure (which a single drive can fail too) get a small external drive and backup your data periodically - problem solved.




Im not worried about loss data Ill have a 120gb and 250gb also hooked up that I can backup the raptors onto.
 
Ok guys Ive been working on this Raid thing and it isnt working so far. Ive put the drives into the computer, hooked them up right, then ran the array setup and have them setup in a Raid0 and it says they are functional. Then I put the WinXp cd in press F6 and setup the SATA drivers off the floppy that works then it continues with the setup and gets to the end and says no hard drives detected. What am I doing wrong? Do the jumpers on the HDD need to be set to something specific or something Im missing. The computer does detect the drives and has the setup in Raid0 so its not that. Anyone got a suggestion?
 
Ok guys Ive been working on this Raid thing and it isnt working so far. Ive put the drives into the computer, hooked them up right, then ran the array setup and have them setup in a Raid0 and it says they are functional. Then I put the WinXp cd in press F6 and setup the SATA drivers off the floppy that works then it continues with the setup and gets to the end and says no hard drives detected. What am I doing wrong? Do the jumpers on the HDD need to be set to something specific or something Im missing. The computer does detect the drives and has the setup in Raid0 so its not that. Anyone got a suggestion?

Maybe you aren't loading the right driver after F6. Is it possible there is a RAID and non-RAID version? Or a small difference in the model number supported by the driver?
 
I used a different set of drivers from my mobo cd and it got it to where windows would see the drive, format it, then start copying files to it. After it copies all the files it says Setup cannot copy the file: fasttx2k.sys To retry, press enter...ect. I tried 3 different floppies with the makedisk file and just copying from the CD, then tried putting the cd in and it still would never copy the files. I just skip the files there are 4 or 5 of them that it wont copy then it reboots and blue screens on me. Anyone have any suggestions?
 
I used a different set of drivers from my mobo cd and it got it to where windows would see the drive, format it, then start copying files to it. After it copies all the files it says Setup cannot copy the file: fasttx2k.sys To retry, press enter...ect. I tryed 3 different floppies with the makedisk file and just copying from the CD, then tried putting the cd in and it still would never copy the files. I just skip the files there are 4 or 5 of them that it wont copy then it reboots and blue screens on me. Anyone have any suggestions?
Is this an original Windows CD? I've made plenty of copies and modded copies with nLite that have had problems with missing files one way or another.
 
I have 2 Raptors in RAID 0 and its very fast. I've had a single configuration Raptor, fast 7200 RPM drives and everything inbetween. My RAID 0 setup is definately not 'slower' than any other setup I've had. I have no noticable access time slow down, which I think is a ridiculous claim anyway.

Try it I think you'll like it. If you are really worried about drive failure (which a single drive can fail too) get a small external drive and backup your data periodically - problem solved.






What stripe size are you using???
 
Raid 0 is fine IF you have a backup system, in place or separate drive for important files, many people have proven raid 0 to not be worth while, while others have - it is a %50 %50 swing to either side. Some people have had a raid 0 working for years, with out one problem, other had it die after a week, or days or hours.

^^ you claim it is BS , others have proven it isnt. it is ALL pendant on what you use your comp for.
 
Back
Top