RAID0 Problems.

Sepsis

n00b
I bout two brand new Western Digital 80GB sATA drives (WD800JD) along with a RAID controller card (Silicon Image SiI3112A). I installed the RAID card and both hard drives in my comp (Asus A7N8X-Dx) which has it’s own SiI 3112A RAID controller which was already in use by another hard drive; hence the need for a controller card. Anyway, everything installed just fine and I configured the RAID0 set in the BIOS and went on to formatting. After installing Windows and rebooting a couple of times I started to install programs. Antivirus was the first thing I installed and after shutting down to reboot, windows failed to start because NTLDR was missing. So, I formatted the RAID set again and reinstalled windows; again NTLDR went missing after installing antivirus. I immediately flashed my mainboard BIOS and removed the controller card as well as disconnected the hard drive from the onboard sATA controller. I than hooked the two RAID drives to the onboard controller and reinstalled Windows. After installing windows I again tried to install antivirus and again NTLDR was missing upon reboot. So I formatted again and installed windows. This time, however, I first installed SP2, which failed. So I hooked the two hard drives and controller card up to another computer, recreated the RAID0, formatted the drives and installed windows. After windows was installed I installed SP2 (from the same CD) and everything went fine. I put the card and drives back into my comp, formatted the drives and the same crap occurred again. Even after recreating the RAID set and formatting the drives with both the 1007 and 1008 BIOS the problem continues both with and without the PCI RAID card as well as with the onboard Asus sATA Link. The card is fine and so are the drives because they both work flawlessly in the other machine; which has an Abit board (KT266a chipset) and Duron 1GHz proc.

Do any of you have any freakin’ idea what’s going on?
I’m thinking those hard drives are incompatible with the Asus board.

Sepsis said:
I bout two brand new Western Digital 80GB sATA drives (WD800JD) along with a RAID controller card (Silicon Image SiI3112A). I installed the RAID card and both hard drives in my comp (Asus A7N8X-Dx) which has it’s own SiI 3112A RAID controller which was already in use by another hard drive; hence the need for a controller card. Anyway, everything installed just fine and I configured the RAID0 set in the BIOS and went on to formatting. After installing Windows and rebooting a couple of times I started to install programs. Antivirus was the first thing I installed and after shutting down to reboot, windows failed to start because NTLDR was missing. So, I formatted the RAID set again and reinstalled windows; again NTLDR went missing after installing antivirus. I immediately flashed my mainboard BIOS and removed the controller card as well as disconnected the hard drive from the onboard sATA controller. I than hooked the two RAID drives to the onboard controller and reinstalled Windows. After installing windows I again tried to install antivirus and again NTLDR was missing upon reboot. So I formatted again and installed windows. This time, however, I first installed SP2, which failed. So I hooked the two hard drives and controller card up to another computer, recreated the RAID0, formatted the drives and installed windows. After windows was installed I installed SP2 (from the same CD) and everything went fine. I put the card and drives back into my comp, formatted the drives and the same crap occurred again. Even after recreating the RAID set and formatting the drives with both the 1007 and 1008 BIOS the problem continues both with and without the PCI RAID card as well as with the onboard Asus sATA Link. The card is fine and so are the drives because they both work flawlessly in the other machine; which has an Abit board (KT266a chipset) and Duron 1GHz proc.

Do any of you have any freakin’ idea what’s going on?
I’m thinking those hard drives are incompatible with the Asus board.

I am not sure... but it sounds like if you are overclocking, you have to back that off. Otherwise I would check your memory.

hope that helps
Doctor X

i think its ur antivirus program
when i was trying to run nortan , it gave me that probelm too
when i restarted and stuff . my pc still ran fine, but it was
quite annoying
i just said fuck norton and used mcafee instead

have u ever used this same antivirus program bnefore? or is it ur first time using it?
if u were able to run it before with no problems, then i might be wrong, but i swear i had a similiar problem

edit;/ didnt read that it failed installing xp w/sp2

Back