RAID with non-raid/sata port question

Tweakin

[H]ard|Gawd
So I am having a heck of a day adding my new DiamondMax 10 200gb in to my setup (seen in sig). I am not 100% sure rather to put this thread here or in the motherboard section, but I will toss in some extra HD questions to tip the wagon :)

Heres my situation. With my raptors running RAID 0 on NV SATA ports 1+2 (bios nvraid enabled for only ports 1+2 at the moment) I plug the Maxtor into NV SATA port 3. One wierd thing I notice right away is that doing this likes to bring the Maxtor up to the top of the harddrive boot chain. Meaning, I have to manually reverse the HD boot order from 200Gb -> 137GB RAID0 to have the raptors in front. Not a big deal, just a quirk.

Now the part that is making my life a living hell. Somehow the Maxtor resides ahead of the two raptors in what ever world these things are tracked in. Trying to install Windows, for example, the Maxtor shows up before the raptors (in RAID0) and wants to be declared as the C: drive. I can get around this by uplugging the maxtor, installing to the RAIDed raptors, then plugging the maxtor back in and make sure the raptors are set to boot in the BIOS. So, although Windows still sees the Maxtor ahead of the raptors in something like the Disk management section of Computer Management, everything just works the way I want it to. Such a solution is not working with Linux, however, which I need installed on the raptors for work. Uplugging the maxtors fails as a solution because plugging it in after an install pushes the dev list of drives up a notch (meaning the maxtor steals /dev/sda) which borks the linux installation.

Phew.

Nutshell- why is the Maxtor stealing the number 1 harddrive spot? Is there a BIOS setting I don't know about for this? Would switch the raid from 1+2 ports to 3+4 ports and put the maxtor on port 1 help?

Thanks for any help in advance, this is really bugging me!

Back