Raid with an old SSD?

SavageThrash

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I picked up an M500 about a year ago for a new build. Seeing some nice deals on the M500 now I am thinking about going the raid route. Is this a bad idea with a drive that already has some wear and tear on it?

Chances of them both having same firmware and/or hardware, very remote.

Buy a pair at same time if going RAID is my best advice.

You may not be able to get a perfect matching drive. But that's not the same as saying it's a bad idea or that it's not going to work. It's just not the best idea. :p

You can secure erase your current drive to get it back to near "mint" condition. Then you can build a raid array which should work just fine for a long time. Personally I'd be more worried about a failure in the new drive than the one that's been working for a year already.

Good points, I hadn't though about firmware or chip differences over this length of time.

Perhaps I will just keep waiting until the current gen of SSDs gets this cheap.

I ran one of my Samsung 830's for a year or so before I picked up another one and put 'em in RAID0. It's still working fine despite the write differences on the drives(1.7TB on the older one, 756GB on the newer ).

Lost-Benji's point about firmware may be important, though. The firmware on my drives is the same.

Back