RAID vs Raptor

Justin Cider

Weaksauce
I'm having a bit of a issue,I am wondering if 2 x WD2500KS in Raid 0 would be faster or at least comparable to 1 WD Raptor 150GB.I'm pretty sure the Raid will be faster. I already have the 250GB's but as always faster,stronger,higher.I have been thinking about a Raptor but the cost seems a little too high if the performance isn't really significant. I think I know the answer but I just wanted some other opinions

this is my personal experience (with a 34GB raptor) but I've found ANY raid0 configuration beats the performance of a single raptor.. but I'm sure there will be some that don't agree.

this is my personal experience (with a 34GB raptor) but I've found ANY raid0 configuration beats the performance of a single raptor.. but I'm sure there will be some that don't agree.
What tests did you perform to discover this?

What tests did you perform to discover this?
This is just general transfer speeds with the raptor and raid0 as the OS drive (i used both configurations for over a year).. I'm sure the raptors random seek is quicker... and maybe would do as a better scratch disk...

file transfers are definitely faster on Raid 0. But the seek times for Raptors is still better. Raid 0 can only improve file transfers but not seek times

So your saying that load times would be decreased with a Raptor,but would it be a significant improvement?

load time will probably increase with a single raptor.. as 'loading' is long sequential file for which a raid0 definately outperforms the a single raptor

just go with the raid0, you'll be happier with it than shelling out hundreds of bucks for a single raptor.. the advantages of a raptor is very little compared to raid0 for the price, raid0 is cheap you get lots of space and its faster... plus most onboard controller now support at least raid0 and raid1

raid 0 is faster than a single raptor . I had two barracudas 80 gb in raid 0 and they were a little faster than a single raptor . But only a couple of seconds here and there , not really a big deal .

i had 2 x 80gb WD drives in raid 0 and compared to one of the newer 16mb cache 36gb raptor drives...... my raptor drive loads windows and games quicker, id say the only thing it is slightly slower in is unpacking big rars etc.

the only shit thing about the raptors is that they're LOUD:eek:

i had 2 x 80gb WD drives in raid 0 and compared to one of the newer 16mb cache 36gb raptor drives...... my raptor drive loads windows and games quicker, id say the only thing it is slightly slower in is unpacking big rars etc.

compared to 15k SCSIs, its not loud at all..

Tell me about it, on my 680i raid 5 it is about 3x slower than my raid 0 on writes.

u cant compare it like that. Raid 5 requires parity check which the software Raid on 680i can't perform well.

and Raid 0 does not have any redundancy check..

u cant compare it like that. Raid 5 requires parity check which the software Raid on 680i can't perform well.

You sure can. Run an application with one array setup, run it with the other, see which goes faster.

Certainly there are other considerations to make, but in terms of deciding which is faster it's simple if you own the hardware. In any case, I wouldn't run raid 5 if speed is a priority.

Yea, I use my raid 5 for data storage, my raid 0 is my boot drive and programs, it works well.

anandtech did a test on raid 0, in real world tests, there were no real improvements. i'll go with the raptor!

Why not raid 0 2 raptors? How well would that work out? (money beside the point)

My 150GB Raptor is pretty silent unless I am moving tons of fragmented files from this computer to my other one, then yes, it does get loud, but 99% of the time, it is very quiet in my Antec Super Lanboy. Rubber grommets FTW!
Why not raid 0 2 raptors? How well would that work out? (money beside the point)

Because there isn't much (if any) improvement. ;)

Really? I was thinking of having two raptors in RAID0 for my OS drive. I need some proofs

where are the real world test results. synthetic numbers don't mean shit

You know, you could be a bit nicer. Being an ass doesn't get you very far. :eek:

If you want real world test, ask unhappy_mage, and drizzt81. I know they have run them. I'm not sure who else has.

You know, you could be a bit nicer. Being an ass doesn't get you very far. :eek:

If you want real world test, ask unhappy_mage, and drizzt81. I know they have run them. I'm not sure who else has.

sorry man, didn't mean to sound mean.. sorrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Weird. Earlier posts in this thread says 2 7200 rpm drives in RAID0 > Single Raptor. So I thought two raptor in RAID0 will be something to consider.
Well you can't take everyone's word as gospel. I asked what tests he did to make this arguement and he said he ran the setups for over a year. "Feeling" isn't reliable, controlled measurements are.

file transfers are definitely faster on Raid 0.

A heavily fragmented Raptor is very likely to beat an equivalently fragmented RAID-0 array for file transfers of almost any size, since file-transfer speeds would be limited by seek times. I love absolute statements as much as the next person, but I try my best to refrain from making them in cases where they are inappropriate.

My 150GB Raptor is pretty silent unless I am moving tons of fragmented files from this computer to my other one, then yes, it does get loud, but 99% of the time, it is very quiet in my Antec Super Lanboy. Rubber grommets FTW!

I would have to agree on the noise. Frankly my 320gb 7200 Seagate is noisier than my Raptor X drive for normal activities.

The raptor only gets noisy if you are doing intense file movement/defragging and have it seeking all over the place.

me :D

Back