RAID trouble need some ideas.

RabidSmurf

n00b
Let me explain the problem.

My server has a crappy motherboard, and when my RAID controller (Perc 5/i) is plugged into the PCI-e it will not give me any display via the onboard video.

I have set the BIOS to initialize onboard video first, but still no dice.

So to get around this I decided to use my PC to build my RAID5, so I plugged int he controller and all the drives and had no problems building the RAID5.

Then I moved all of the drives and RAID controller back over to the server.

My intention was to RDP/VNC into the server anyway as I always run headless, I tested this before I shut it down to put the RAID card and drives in and it worked fine.

Now here I am with RAID controller and drives back in the server and it seems it will not boot with the RAID controller plugged in, I can't ping it from my PC or access it via RDP/VNC, so I assume it's stuck somewhere.

Not really sure why since I can't get display to see any errors.

Do you guys have any ideas what might be going on? Either how I can get display, or why it might not be booting up.

Thanks in advance,

Rabid

Don't laugh....

MSI RS48OM

A replacement board/cpu is on the way, but was hoping to atleast get the RAID up and running, so I can use it until it gets here.

Do you happen to have any 10+ year old computers around? Or more specifically a PCI graphics card.

Unfortunately no, one of my friends might have one I could use though, will have to see.

Wondering if there might be any settings in the BIOS for the PCI-e... but not sure what to look for.

The board may disable the onboard video if it detects any card in the PCIe slot. I am not sure about bios options to disable this feature.

yea, it's really annoying. I don't think it's even posting to be honest because typically within 5 seconds of powering on the machine the cpu fan starts to spin down.

with the raid card in it just stays maxed so my guess is it's trying to initialize the PCI-e as a GPU and failing and tossing some kind of error and just sitting there..

Might try to flashing the BIOS to latest version, but other then that I am out of ideas.

Anyone else seen this before and managed to figure out some way to make it work?

Bah, managed to flash the BIOS up to a much newer version and it still won't post with the RAID controller plugged in...

Anyone else got any bright ideas for me?

Thanks for the help so far.

Back