Raid Suggestions

elec999

Limp Gawd
I am planning to build a raid with 6-8 500gb drives, I need max security in case of drive failures. Should I do raid10 or raid 5 vs 6. Not sure, raid5 takes long to rebuild and need a really good controller. Never did raid 5 or 6 before or 10. Still trying to device whats best, I know how raid10 if I use 8 drives I only have capacity of 4. Can I use linux unraid.
Thanks

What is the application for this array? Is a large capacity for IO/s a concern? How many disks would you expect to lose before the array is lost? Last but not least - what's your backup plan? RAID is not a backup.

What is the application for this array? Is a large capacity for IO/s a concern? How many disks would you expect to lose before the array is lost? Last but not least - what's your backup plan? RAID is not a backup.
Just some of my files, database for a website. Backup I never taught of that, I dont trust dvdrw. Also the raid should allow for more then 1 disk failure.
Thanks

Raid 6 is probably a good choice... but it depends on what you mean by "database". If this is being updated frequently, raid 1 or 1+0 are pretty much your only options.

UnRAID is not suitable for your application. If the application is high in throughput or heavy on the CPU as well as disk a dedicated RAID controller is a good purchase.

Back