• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

RAID Spindle Calculator

lopoetve

Extremely [H]
2FA
Joined
Oct 11, 2001
Messages
34,262
So a lot of people have asked for this. I cleaned up the doc a bit and fiddled the numbers to what I normally use.

http://lopoetve.com/RAID_Calc_Spreadsheet.xls

Have at it.

Take whatever drive you have, and google up the deep queue IOPS performance - I put in the numbers I use as a general benchmark, with the two extremes (almost any SATA disk can get ~100 IOPS now, and good SAS disks get ~280). Read/write are generic, change to match what you're doing based on application.

To work backwards, use the formulas in the lower right.

Remember, this is ~theoretical peak performance~. This does not include array overhead, ESX overhead / operations, or anything else. This is the absolute ~best~ case scenario - you will never actually reach this performance, but it will give you the ceiling.

Good luck :) Let me know if you have questions.
 
Just wanted to say thanks! I've been doing some planning for a new unit we're getting and this helps a lot for figuring out my shelf/disk requirements!
 
glad it comes in handy.

Remember, if you're looking up drive iops, you need the ~deep queue~ performance, not just the burst numbers. :) IIRC, it's the 16k+.
 
got any sites that you recommend on finding em? can't find anything on the samsung Spinpoint F3's
 
Back
Top