• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

RAID question

jaded25

Gawd
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
667
I have a quick question about setting up a RAID-0 array between my hard drives. I currently have 1 500gb WD SATA drive, 1 300gb Seagate SATA drive and a 500gb Seagate SATA drive. I was wondering if there was anyway that I could setup a RAID-0 array between the WD and 500gb Seagate drives without having to format. After I setup the RAID would I notice a significant increase in opening files etc.?
 
Setting up a Raid is formatting it so that it spans multiple volumes. short answer, no
Raid-0 is a questionable practice, but many seem to find it very useful
From what i have seen, BF2 players can almost swear by their Raid-0 systems.
But many will also curse them for their inherint pitfals.

dont expect to be mazmarised by speed, but heres a quick link
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=445800
 
if you do choose to do it anyway, back up all the data from the drives you want to make an array out of and then create the array. Once its created you can move the data back. Some controllers will let you cheat but there's no guarantee it will work. You could end up with the total loss of your data if things go wrong.
 
IntelOwnz said:
Forget raid, it's a waste in your case

Get a couple Raptors (WD360ADFD, WD740ADFD, or WD1500ADFD)
If you're still not satisfied with the speed the Raptors offer you, then try Raid-0.

And for all your Raid-0 bashers, do your homework kids:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=445800

I've read the thread and I'm not disputing the speed results. Its the reliability that kills raid 0 on the desktop for me. Check the link I posted...

Also, the 36g raptors are slower than most anything out today, the 74g raptors aren't even faster than the OP's 500g drives. Technology progresses. If you want the fastest desktop drive there is no substitute for the 150.
 
Thanks for the responses everyone. I'll look into setting up RAID array a little more but in the meantime I think I'll stick with my current setup, each hard drive acting separately.
 
dekard said:
I've read the thread and I'm not disputing the speed results. Its the reliability that kills raid 0 on the desktop for me. Check the link I posted...

Also, the 36g raptors are slower than most anything out today, the 74g raptors aren't even faster than the OP's 500g drives. Technology progresses. If you want the fastest desktop drive there is no substitute for the 150.

I think you are confusing the old 36gb's with the new ones. The 36GB is up to par with it's larger brothers, in fact the 74GB was a little bit faster then the 150 in most tests.

Raid-0 does increase the chance of data lose, but it does not increase the chance of drive failure.

If you had all your data on one drive and the drive goes, your data is gone.
If you had R-0 and one hard drive dies, your data is gone.

So yes, it does in fact double the chance of data lose, but that is only if a drive fails on you. Drives do go bad eventually, sure, but some people here act like, as soon as you R-0 your drives are going to crash....

Anyone who stores anything important on a R-0 array is a moron, anyone who does not R-0, but does various tasks like photo/video editing, gaming, etc. or anyone that needs blistering speeds, is a also moron.



Moral of the story...Use Raid-0 carefully, do not use it to double your storage, if you need more storage, buy a larger Hard Drive, but if you need the fastest of the fast, then Raid-0
And either way, buy a Raptor, the one that suits your storage needs best. Then buy a 500GB drive or whatever as a storage drive.
 
Back
Top