• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Raid Question

Right... I can't even begin to count how many times I've had a 'power spike' has destroyed my hard drive. Let alone two of them at once.
 
este said:
If I delete something from my RAID-1 there better be a good reason for doing so. Its all marked read-only so there is a prompt, THEN there is a recycle bin, and THEN if for instance I wake up completely retarded and still manage to delete my important files, there is undelete, after that I wouldn't even really care b/c they aren't THAT important.
And when your filesystem driver gets corrupted? Or your sata driver? Or that shareware thing you downloaded last month makes a mistake and deletes a file? Pressing the Delete key isn't the only way to delete a file. And deleting a file isn't the only way to make it unusable - if someone takes your term paper and replaces all the instances of 'e' with 'q', or runs MS Grammar check on your C source, the files are rendered useless. And double-useless, since the changes are immediately replicated to the other disk!
este said:
Like it or not I have 2 physical copies of all my important files.
Wrong! You have the same copy on two disks. The copies are kept in sync automatically, so if something modifies one drive both copies are broken. The only way having 2 copies is a backup is if they do not automatically overwrite each other.
este said:
FOR ME - 2 physical copies IS a backup. Thats WAY more then the 95% of people out there that are using 1 hdd drive.
If 95% of people jumped off a bridge...
este said:
I have no use for offline, read-only, or permanently stored backups ... I still make a very infrequent true backup and throw it in the bank. In case of fire or some bs. But, considering how many times my system has been stolen and burned (zero times). Its not an issue.
If it's not an issue, why are you doing backups? It's never failed so it can't.
este said:
I certainly would not be some presumptuous to tell someone their system is not good enough for them.
So why are you presumptuous to tell others your system *is* good enough for them?

As for power spikes - if you haven't heard of a single instance of hardware failure from power 'glitches' you haven't been paying attention. A couple months I did some work for a company whose entire IT infrastructure, phone system, DVR system, and security system were taken out in a single lightning strike. They had raid 1 arrays as an uptime device only. Every hard drive in the building that was plugged in went out, their backups were offsite and worked flawlessly.
 
Amen, this concept often takes IT professionals years and multiple failures to finally comprehend.

The only true backup is offsite and asynchronous.
 
longblock454 said:
Amen, this concept often takes IT professionals years and multiple failures to finally comprehend.

The only true backup is offsite and asynchronous.

THAT is just it ! I (nor the OP) are talking about office systems, we're talking about GAMING systems.

I understand where unhappy_mage is coming from, and if we were talking about important stuff I would agree, but we are not.
 
Back
Top