Raid question - 2 slightly different drives

spicey

Supreme [H]ardness
Currently I have a Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 120GB SATA I drive and recently I've just bought a Hitachi T7K250 250GB SATA II HDD.

What would be the best way to use these two drives together? I've read up on RAID 0 but performance increases seem negligible. Will these two drives work together in a raid array?, perhaps the slower drive will slow down the quicker drive? Does the SATAI and SATA II interface cause issues working together, or will the differing size do likewise?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

If you raid them together you will have only 240gb less then new hard disk you bought and the performance will probably actaully be worse for most situations.

why do you think that you need to raid them together, i.e. what is the goal you are trying to accomplish?

for example: I want a single, virtual disk, since I hate to worry about where my programs are stored

-or-

I need more STR for certain operations

-or-

I want more uptime...

If you want to RAID them just to have them RAIDed then nothing we say will be of any help to you.

spicey said:
Currently I have a Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 120GB SATA I drive and recently I've just bought a Hitachi T7K250 250GB SATA II HDD.

What would be the best way to use these two drives together? I've read up on RAID 0 but performance increases seem negligible. Will these two drives work together in a raid array?, perhaps the slower drive will slow down the quicker drive? Does the SATAI and SATA II interface cause issues working together, or will the differing size do likewise?

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Would not recommend creating RAID arrays with different makes/models and of different sizes. Plus, as stated above, you're losing roughly 130GB of space.

Thanks for the replys. Raiding is a pointless exercise for me, there is no benefit. I'll just use the new drive and flog the Hitachi 7K250 on eBay. 250GB is more than enough for me.

Back