• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Raid or not to Raid?

johndh

n00b
Joined
Jan 8, 2012
Messages
6
I have a pair of WD drives in raid0 with on board controller (Asus P6T motherboard) that I store all of my HD video content on for editing in Premiere Pro cs5.5. I also have seperate drive for operating system and one more drive for video output.Would I be better to make the raid0 two logical drives and have them performing independently,performing different tasks?
What would be faster, raid0 or performing independantly within the same program?
 
I think your setup is perfect just the way it is. Make sure you have Premiere Pro set to use the RAID array as your scratch drive.
 
So the source material and scratch disk on the same raid0 would still be faster than splitting those two drives and putting scratch disk on one and source material on the other?
 
Retrieving data from a RAID0 setup is approximately twice as fast as a single drive. Likely hood of a failure of RAID0 is double, i.e. failure on 1 of the 2 HDDs results in lose of your data if you're not backed up. You get to decide reward versus safety but I've used RAID0 for years and do a daily backup.
 
Yes.I understand that a raid0 is faster but a program like premiere pro sc5 that can access different drives at the same time, meaning for example scratch disc on one drive and source material on another drive... is or is not faster than raid0 with both scratch and source material on the same raid0 drive?
 
Yes.I understand that a raid0 is faster but a program like premiere pro sc5 that can access different drives at the same time, meaning for example scratch disc on one drive and source material on another drive... is or is not faster than raid0 with both scratch and source material on the same raid0 drive?

You will be better off leaving the two drives in RAID0 rather than having one drive for scratch and the other for etc.
 
raid 0 gives you more MB/s then a single drive, using multiple drives has nothing to do with RAID, example Photoshop can manually set which disk to use as a scratch disk...

your set up is good, ideally..... if you could....

Raid 0 for source and save disk with a final dump to a single or raid 1 drive this way you get alot of speed on source and save, assuming your not CPU bound.
 
Back
Top