RAID & non-RAID together???

singh_uk

n00b
Hello

I currently have two Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 drives at 250gb each and wanted a little more space and something a little bit faster for gaming & OS.

I'm a little put off SSD drives at the moment since they have a life expectancy & seem to be rather expensive for the storage amount you get.

I was thinking of getting x2 Seagate 7200.12 500gb drives (for just under £40 each) and setting them up in a RAID configuration to provide faster performance (I believe this is RAID 0?) . Would this be the best way to go forward or is SSD really that much faster?

But I have no experience with setting up RAID arrays previously and was wondering, could I still use the other 2 old drives I currently have and keep all the data on them whilst having a RAID array with my new 2 drives at the same time?

Thanks and apologies for the stupid questions!

I suggest reading a little on wiki about raid. Then make sure you can do it assuming you (IE you have a mobo thtas raid capable or raid card)

And yes, your non raid drives will get along fine with the raid drives.

HDD's have a life expectancy as well, if I remember right, it's usually around 5 years, which, under normal usage is what a SSD will probably last. I'd still recommend going with the HDD's though, performance increase is nice, but waiting until everything is cheaper would be prudent.
But to answer your question, yes, you can have a RAID and separate drives and it'll co-exist nicely. Just make sure to double check the drives you're selecting when your setting everything up.

Back