RAID Issues

NAiLs

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to reformat my brother's computer, but I'm having issues setting up his RAID config. I've spent waaaay too long in the last 24 hours trying to get this thing going.

Board: EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1
Drives: 2x 1TB WD1001FALS

The HDD's are plugged into Ports 8 and 9 (red ones) on the JMB363 SATA controller. SATA mode is set to RAID. The JMB363 controller is also set to RAID.

I'm wanting to do the on-board RAID config like he had it originally set up, but no installers (XP, Vista 32-bit or Vista 64-bit) see the drives when I set them to RAID in the BIOS and set up the RAID 1 config in the RAID utility. I've tried loading the drivers via my USB drive, and it still doesn't see the HDD's present. I even went to Intel's website and downloaded the x58 driver pack, tried every single one in the pack, with no luck in seeing the drives. If I set everything to AHCI mode, the drives are detected no problem, and I can install Vista... but obviously I don't have my RAID 1 config anymore. I was going to do the route of software RAID, but I discovered that Vista doesn't have Mirroring under Disk Management, and this is something they introduced in 7.

I've tried wiping the partitions off of the drives, using DISKPART and clearing any parameters on the drive. I just cannot get this flipping computer to see the drives when in RAID mode. It was working fine prior to me touching it, but he needed a good reformat (32-bit was installed for some reason is reason #1).

Any suggestions and help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Vista Ultimate x64?

Was that the same operating system on the disks before the format?

There is also a small chance that changing the SATA ports the drives are plugged into will alleviate the problem, its worth a try. Unless those drives are SATA3 and the red ones are the only SATA3 ports?

Yeah, Vista Ultimate 64-bit. It is the same OS that was on there before, but I think 32-bit was installed previously for some unknown reason... but I'm not 100%. Regardless, the partition information and any data on the drives have been wiped 100% clean.

There is also a small chance that changing the SATA ports the drives are plugged into will alleviate the problem, its worth a try. Unless those drives are SATA3 and the red ones are the only SATA3 ports?

The drives are plugged into the same two ports where it was working. Unfortunately I believe these are the only two ports on the board that the RAID controller can handle.

DO NOT use ports 6,7,8 or 9 for raid. Those are the jmicron 622 and 632 ports, and they suck. You should use the intel southbridge raid ports, which are 0,1,2 & 3. Use the X58 ICH10 raid drivers which you can get form intels site for the win7, or in the ICH10R directory on your motherboard drivers cd. You will copy them to a drivers floppy for xp, or you can use nlite to slipstream them into an install cd.

Step-by Step for the initial raid setup: http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=58913

Last edited:
DO NOT use ports 6,7,8 or 9 for raid. Those are the jmicron 622 and 632 ports, and they suck. You should use the intel southbridge raid ports, which are 0,1,2 & 3. Use the X58 ICH10 raid drivers which you can get form intels site for the win7, or in the ICH10R directory on your motherboard drivers cd. You will copy them to a drivers floppy for xp, or you can use nlite to slipstream them into an install cd.

Step-by Step for the initial raid setup: http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmviewfaq.aspx?faqid=58913

I will definitely check this out in a bit. I'm not sure how this computer was initially set up on ports 8 and 9, but it was... It's kind of frustrating to be honest. I'll give that guide a shot! Thanks!

HO LY SHIT! I don't know how many times I went through that configuration, and I NEVER saw the Intel manager... I do know that the screens only flash up on my monitor and don't stay for more than half a second, which is why I likely didn't notice it. I was able to successfully install Windows and it's up and running already.

I can't say thank you enough, but thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!

HO LY SHIT! I don't know how many times I went through that configuration, and I NEVER saw the Intel manager... I do know that the screens only flash up on my monitor and don't stay for more than half a second, which is why I likely didn't notice it. I was able to successfully install Windows and it's up and running already.

I can't say thank you enough, but thank you thank you thank you!!!!!!

Glad to help, thats why we're here.

Back