raid install/maybe ghost

T-Minus10

Weaksauce
I'm about to install a raid 1 array (2x WD 74gb raptors) into my current system and that's where I plan to put all my working stuff -- OS and whatnot.

But -- I've got me a coupla questions.

Is it possible to just ghost my current working partition and extract it onto a new partition on the array?

I'll assume the answer to that is "negatory" Here's the next question:

When I install windows fresh, I don't have a floppy drive. Can I load up all my raid driver information into a usb key instead?

Thanks

You can create as many partitions as you want, but that will be mirrored on the second drive.
Second answer, not sure since I always order rigs with a floppy drive so I'm not sure if after you press F6 windows will search a usb drive. Maybe you have to assign a drive letter or maybe you can put the files on cd and swap cd's when prompted.

I once looked into ghosting a raid array as well, so I knew exactly where to go for this information. Assuming you're gonna use Norton Ghost...

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR... Ghost&ver=9.0&src=sg&pcode=ghost&svy=&csm=no

Supported RAID levels

Situation:
This document describes the RAID levels that are supported by the following products:
- Norton Ghost 9.0
- Norton PartitionMagic
- PartitionMagic
- PartitionMagic Pro
- Drive Image
- Drive Image Pro
- EasyRestore
- DriveCopy
- ServerMagic
- VolumeManager
- DataGone
- DeployCenter

Solution:
Only hardware RAID levels 0 (stripe sets) and 5 (stripe sets with parity) are supported. For further information about RAID levels, please read Description of commonly used RAID levels.

Back