• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

RAID, have to have matched drives?

ScHpAnKy

2[H]4U
Joined
Jan 11, 2003
Messages
3,332
I was just wondering, because I've had terrible luck with dieing drives, I was just wondering if you have to have two of the same drives.. because I have a spare Caviar 200, and I presently have a Seagate 200GB in my main rig.
 
The answer is maybe. The software raid most popularly found on integrated mobo's will take different sized/performance drives and automagically make them work in a RAID setup.

Hardware controllers used to be much less tolerable, but they're probably much better now.

In any case, the raid array will only be as big/quick as the smallest/slowest performing drive in your system.
 
ScHpAnKy said:
I was just wondering, because I've had terrible luck with dieing drives, I was just wondering if you have to have two of the same drives.. because I have a spare Caviar 200, and I presently have a Seagate 200GB in my main rig.
You should have no problems.
 
I wouldn't attempt it, it stability matters to you. More often than not you will have the RAID array break down at some point. Access times, methods, speeds, etc won't be the same, so anytime your writing to the array, your taking a chance.

I'd also avoid software RAID like the plague. We've had a saying in IT for a long time. If it was meant to be done by hardware, then software is not an adequate replacement.

RAID on a desktop is pretty much a joke and gimmick now anyway (except RAID1), and by switching to software you infinitely increase the "joke".
 
djnes said:
I wouldn't attempt it, it stability matters to you. More often than not you will have the RAID array break down at some point. Access times, methods, speeds, etc won't be the same, so anytime your writing to the array, your taking a chance.

I'd also avoid software RAID like the plague. We've had a saying in IT for a long time. If it was meant to be done by hardware, then software is not an adequate replacement.

RAID on a desktop is pretty much a joke and gimmick now anyway (except RAID1), and by switching to software you infinitely increase the "joke".

I've also been in the IT business for awhile, and only now have I found out that this configuration would work. I don't plan on using software raid, at all. I have a silicon image controller for this task, and it is going to be a redundancy setup, not striping. I just wanted to check this out before I did it. I've had a problem where all my pcs keep dieing, it would be nice to extend the life of one of my drives this way.
 
ScHpAnKy said:
I've also been in the IT business for awhile, and only now have I found out that this configuration would work. I don't plan on using software raid, at all. I have a silicon image controller for this task, and it is going to be a redundancy setup, not striping. I just wanted to check this out before I did it. I've had a problem where all my pcs keep dieing, it would be nice to extend the life of one of my drives this way.

Good choices. Hardware RAID and redundancy. Can't go wrong there, then.
 
Back
Top