RAID Failure, Help

Zekenstein

n00b
Ok, so for about a year now I've had 2 74GB 10K Raptors running in a Raid 0 array in Windows X64 SP1. One of the drives was brand new while the other was already a ayear old, so they are now 1 and 2 years old, respectively. Recently, it's locked up a few times, only once on the desktop but a few times playing LOTRO. It wouldn't boot back up saying "hard disk boot failure please instert book disk and press enter", and on the most recent crash it went to my raid utlity and said the array was "broken". I got it to start back up by unpluggin the drives and replugging them in and now it seems fine. Anyone know what the problem could be? It was always my understanding that went an array or drive went it just went and there was nothing more, is it possible one of thd drives is slowly going or the array is slowly corrupting? Any help is much appreciated and sorry for the lengthy post, thanks a ton in advance.

It's quite possible that one of the drives is on the point of failure and is now working only intermittently. Now is the time for backups - if you don't have them, get them. I wouldn't trust those drives as far as I can throw them at this point. And that's not very far at all.:eek:

Hm, well, if the sytem gives out I'm just gonna say screw it to these ones and buy one of those new 120 GB 10k ones, Raid makes these things twice as unpredictable as they already are.

are u using your onboard raid controller ? or a raid controller card?

Back