• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

RAID Controller Suggestions

Cpmiller22

n00b
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
22
Hi All-

I currently have a SuperMicro SAS-MV8 with 4 Seagate ST32000542AS 2 TB drives. I was running Server 2008R2 Software RAID 5 and having lots of problems. The drives don't support ERC was causing disks to drop. After lots of fiddling with drivers and using smartctl to set the ERC on every boot things were becoming a bit more stable. Recently one of the Seagates failed, and when I rebooted the RAID 5 was failed and could rebuild. Luckily I have my data backed up, but this is a major pain. I'm thinking of moving away from software RAID and picking up a hardware RAID controller to run my RAID 5 array and am looking for some suggestions. I'd like to stay under $200 is possible, but want something that will work well with Windows Server 2008R2 and will be very stable. I was looking at the Intel SASUC8I, and the RocketRAID 2300, but am open to any recomendations from people that have a favorite.

EDIT: Just realized the SASUC8I doesn't support RAID 5.

Thanks!

Chris
 
Back
Top