Raid Controller Product Recommendation

porgan

n00b
I have a Dell PowerEdge 2950 Rackmount server running Small Business Server, but I am going to wipe that and just reinstall Windows 7. The raid controller that it came with (perc6i) does not recognize drives over 2TB. I want to install 6 SATA 3TB Drives into a Raid 0 formation to have a 18TB volume. The server will be used to record security camera footage (max of approx 10MB/sec).

Can someone recommend a cost effective but reliable raid controller for this application?

Last edited:
i have good luck with adaptec cards. i really liked the 5805 that i used for a while. they also have the new 6xxx series out now.

i am currently using an HP p410, also a good card but the raid 6 support takes a license key (i dont use it) and the HP software is a bit irritating to set up on non-HP systems.

i use debian for an OS, both cards fully support linux based OS if that matters to you.

Can't go wrong with a IBM M1015 off eBay.

This looks like a perfect price point. Forgive my ignorance, but does this card need to be wired to each drive, or do I just put in the card, and slide in the drives and its ready to go?

Every card will need to be wired to each drive either via direct connection or a backplane of some sort.

Unless you have a backplane you will need 2 SFF8087 forward breakout cables. Something like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10254&cs_id=1025406&p_id=8186&seq=1&format=2

81861.jpg

Last edited:
Also, there are few different models listed on ebay. I found this one:

M1015 46M0861-LOW P for $94.00

Will this one work in the dell 2950 server?

Seems like the LOW P model only comes with the low profile bracket, when I got my regular M1015 it came with both brackets.

ahha...this was in the server's specs, now I know what it is!

311-7936 1x6 Backplane for 3.5-inch Hard Drives

You will need cabling from the raid card to backplane. From the few pictures I could find on a quick google search I can not determine what the backplane uses. Since its 6 port and not 4 or 8 port I would guess it has regular SATA connectors and not a 4 port SAS cable.

PE2950 uses two SFF-8484 connections on the backplane, so for use with IBM M1015 you would need two SFF-8484 to SFF-8087 cables

So it looks like this ebay seller only includes the low profile bracket...meaning I would need to buy the card, cables, bracket all separate.

Can anyone recommend anything easier for my application?

ebay link

this one has both brackets, but odds are you are g oing to have to buy some bits separate. buying cables separate is pretty common.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I saw that one, but its shipping from Taiwan. I prefer to buy US due to the shipping time.

If I do purchase from the US based eBay seller I suppose I could buy the parts separate, but they also have several different models of the M1015, can anyone tell me which of them is the correct model?
46M0861-LOW P
H3-25097-01D-LOW P-IBM
9240-8I-LOW P-IBM
LSI00204-LOW P-IBM
46M0860-LOW P
68Y7366-LOW P

ebay link

this one has both brackets, but odds are you are g oing to have to buy some bits separate. buying cables separate is pretty common.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
most of those are IBM FRU (field replace unit) part numbers. its a useless number and does not exactly mean a specific part. one of those looks to be a board part number, one looks to be a part number the seller put on for their use...

long story short, i would bet a beer they are all identical cards.

Back