RAID controller dropped my drive

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
2FA
Joined
Sep 25, 2003
Messages
11,465
Yesterday I came home to be greet by the message that one of my drives had been "removed." I opened the case and noticed it was the replacement drive I just got a few weeks ago to replace my first failure.

This leads me to think something is amiss. I'm not sure if the original drive was hooked to the same power connection as the replacement, but I know it was the same port on the controller card.

I just plugged the drive directly into the board and it shows up fine. :confused:

One thing that came to mind was my custom SATA power harness,

but like I said before, I'm not sure the two drives were on the same connection, and my old array was hooked to the same harness and I never had any dropped drives.

So that leaves the controller. I've heard about WD drives being dropped because of the error recovery function, but I don't know any of the details or how to prevent it. Could I just have a bad port on the card itself?

Running an extended test on the dropped drive now with WD's LifeGuard Diagnostics.

Broadcom BC4452
4 x WD3200JD
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
PCP&C 510W PCI-E
 
I switched out all the cables and hooked up the drives in a different order, and it's still reporting drive three as missing
looks like port 3 on the card is bad
time to find out how bananapc's RMA service works
 
Back
Top