RAID Controller and Hard Drive Options

PhoenixC5

Limp Gawd
First let me state the overall purpose for this server. This server is planned to be a one stop shop for all things my house. The server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 with the Hyper V role configured. I plan to install the storage server components to make the system an iSCSI target once the high performance RAID is configured. Basically this system will host a variety of VM's using Hyper V boxes and serve files for the entire house.

Current hardware specs:

Intel Core i7 950
Gigabyte X58-USB3
24GB Corsair DDR3 1333mhz Memory
Intel X25-V 40GB SSD (System Drive)
SATA 6Gb controller (System Drive)
6 @ Segate 2TB LP Drives
On-Board ICH10R in RAID 5 (Current Storage Array)
ATI Rage XL PCI Video Card (8mb...watch out world!)
I just ordered by Norco 4224 to be the case.

The seagate array will stick around for back-up and basic file sharing purposes only as its write performance makes me very sad (35mb....).

I believe I have decided on the Hitachi 7K2000 drives:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145298&cm_re=HDS722020ALA330-_-22-145-298-_-Product

That being said, if someone has other options in that same price range with broad controller compatibility, I'd love to hear it.

Next up is finalizing my decision on the RAID controller. I have a few requirements:
  • Compatible with 2TB Hard Drives (3TB Compatibility would be nice as well)
  • RAID 6 Support
  • OCE + ORLM
  • HP SAS Expander Compatibility

The list I have right now is:
HighPoint RocketRaid 4230 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115056&Tpk=rocketraid%204320)
Pros
  • Official support for the Hitachi 2TB drives.
  • OCE and ORLM (even at the same time....neat)
  • Intel IOP348 (dual core 1200mhz)
  • Price: $429
Cons
  • Hitachi 3TB drives appear to be incompatible at the moment.
  • 256mb of cache....512mb would be nice.

areca ARC-1880i (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151071R&cm_re=areca_1880i-_-16-151-071R-_-Product)
Pros
  • SATA 6Gbs
  • I've seen people successfully test the 3TB Hitachi drive
Cons
  • Price: $579
  • 800Mhz processor....not sure this is really a con, I just see 1200 vs 800 and I freak out slightly
  • No official support for the inexpensive Hitachi 2TB drives...I'm sure they work, but it is nice to see it on a PDF

areca ARC-1680i (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816151023&Tpk=areca%201680)
Pros
  • Intel IOP348 (dual core 1200mhz)
  • I've seen people successfully test the 3TB Hitachi drive
Cons
  • Price: 649
  • No official support for the inexpensive Hitachi 2TB drives...I'm sure they work, but it is nice to see it on a PDF

So.....thoughts? Is it worth the extra money to go the 1880i route? Does the fact that it uses that 800mhz chip that I hear runs very hot matter versus the 1200mhz chip on the other two cards? 6Gbs seems like it will future proof me for a good long time, which I like. I may eventually go 3TB, so I like that the areca has that as well. So if you are still reading after this ridiculously long post, I'd love you hear your thoughts!

One other quick thing of note: Newegg has an open box 1880i for 365. Should I jump on that or should I be concerned with an open box controller?

-Brian

Last edited:
My vote is for the ARC-1880i, I have one with 8x2TB Hitachi 7K2000s in RAID 6 and it has been rock solid. You will find many people here that will suggest the same, they are a good combination. I also did much research before landing on my decision, a lot of it was based on being future-proof. The 1880i has been confirmed to accommodate dual linking to an HP SAS expander, as well as being 6gbps. You really can't lose other than it being kind of expensive (you will be looking at even more if you get the BBU).

P.S. - You may want to look at the Hitachi 5K3000s also

Areca 1880i. There is no reason to go with the order 1680i. Hitachi 2TB drives have been confirmed as working by so many individuals (myself included). The 800mhz IOP on the 1880i is faster than the rest too. Clock speed means nothing these days when you are comparing dissimilar things.

I just went through and read the 49 pages of the areca owner's thread. I now know that the 800mhz IOP is indeed faster. So I went ahead and ordered the open box one. If it works...awesome. :) I don't care if it has any accessories since I don't need break-out cables or a low profile bracket. The price is ridiculous.

Thanks for the info, especially those of you who post in the areca thread. It has so much information that I think I have a pretty good handle on the settings I need to use.

Now I just have to wait for my tax refund so I can buy some drives to go with my fancy new case and controller...

How are the 5K3000's? I noticed they were on sale at Newegg today for 79.99. :eek: I may just have to push my schedule a bit.

-Brian

Back