• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

RAID Card recommendations

peanuthead

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 1, 2006
Messages
4,699
Currently looking for a low cost/low end RAID card that is low profile and can handle RAID 5 or RAID 10 for 4 drives with no more that 1TB volume size. I'm find with new or used. I've been leaning towards the NTEL/LSI SRCSASBB8I, LSI MegaRAID 9260-4i or the LSI SAS3081E-S. Thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
 
Last edited:
I've had perfect luck with the Dell PERC cards which are LSI based. You can find them used everywhere.
 
Isn't the 1222s pretty old technology these days? Cheapest I have seen them is $125
 
Certainly not the newest, but you weren't looking for that. Processor on that thing will not be a limiting factor with the number of disk you have at least. There are some 1210s (mislabeled as 1220s) for ~$70 too.
 
What OS/ use case?

If you use newer CopyOnWrite/ checksummed filesystems (btrfs, ReFS, WAFL, ZFS) you can use a LSI HBA + software raid (ex IBM 1015, LSI 9211 or the newer 9207). Mostly faster, with a higher level of datasecurity and without the writehole problem of conventional raid 1/5/6
 
I'm using this in a Windows system so classic RAID is needed to keep things simple.
 
If you have the space maybe a dell perc card with a riser on a ribbon and the card on a backplate?
 
Back
Top